changing to brackish w/ puffer

finsandfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
next to da beech... boyee
i have recently bought 3 green spotted puffers. i have read that they should be in brackish water at 2 to 3 inches. they were in fesh water when i bought them and i have bought some stuff to convert them to brackish ( africana chilid conditioner, african rift lake chilid salt, and crushed hawaiian puka shell substrate)
my ph is close to 7 i know that i need to raise it to atleast 8
my main question is what do i do first .........ph? salt? raise the hardness?

p.s. i know my tank is not big enough to house these fish for life. when the big tank swap happens through the house all fish will be happy

puf.jpg

puf1.jpg

puf2.jpg

puf3.jpg

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i would start with the salt

mpgleisten

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2005
The Apex Predator of MFK
do some research on brackish biotopes where those puffers are from, i am sure you could find some info about pH. it is possible to have high salt concentration in your water while having low pH. definitely add salt first and see if you need to adjust pH.

finsandfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
next to da beech... boyee
mpgleisten said:
do some research on brackish biotopes where those puffers are from, i am sure you could find some info about pH. it is possible to have high salt concentration in your water while having low pH. definitely add salt first and see if you need to adjust pH.
i looked it up and it said ph 8 to 8 1/2

mbierzyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
uk
I used marine salt with my green spotted puffer. He was already 2.5" when I bought him, and over time I gradually increased the salinity of the water. It is now full marine and I have a few peices of live rock in the tank with him.

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
How long have you had him and how long did you ween him off the brackish to full salt?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
The reccomendation is .002 increase of salinity every few weeks. This allows nitrifying bacteria from the old salinity to die off, and new nitrifying bacteria to take it's place. It's a slow and tedious process, but the safest method.

Use marine salt, no others.

DucatiRave21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2005
Tarrs, PA
yes i agree. it took over a month to switch mine. i just wanted to be safe. maybe every week just be sure to start adding proper lighting. will help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store