Any Mangrove Jacks out there?

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
just checking to see if anyone else here on MFK has kept, or is presently keeping a Mangrove Jack. Lutjanus argentimaculatus. Share all pics, stories, comments and info here. My brain is like a sponge for this fish.

My guys bottom set of teeth are really starting to show. I see his upper fangs are coming through as well. I can't wait till this thing gets ]\/[onster sized!

BIGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Perth WA
Hey mate know this is an old thread but you will be hard pressed I think to find anyone with a mangrove Jack. I only just got a small one myself and they are hard to get even here in Australia where they are native. Mines only about 4cms but i can see his teeth. From what I've found they are very aggressive I think even more so than a murray cod. To give you a perspective, the guy I got both my jack an murray off used to have a Jaguar that ended up with a nice big ring around its face after being attacked by a murray smaller than it.

JardiniBoy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Taipei
www.reddragons.sc
Steve_89 had one, but it died after a while. He reckons it needs brackish to salt when mature, if I remember correctly..

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
if you keep high alkaline and hard water it should be ok but it is true that if you add a little salt water the fish will be stronger. keep check of the water, with any large predatory fish you will feed them alot and water will go acidic not good for your MJ. The murray cod? well that will live in crap.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
JDMAN had one, but it was apparently really aggressive. Hopefully he will show up and elaborate.

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
Oh about their aggression mine was small but he could defintely hold is own i had it in with a barramundi, saratoga, black bream and murray cod a bit of a nightmare mix but was cool while it lasted any ways nothing messed around with it. Ive heard stories off a mate that he had his in with a barramundi twice its size and the MJ tore it in half! literally! pretty nasty SOB!

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
ewurm;889803; said:
JDMAN had one, but it was apparently really aggressive. Hopefully he will show up and elaborate.
I finally found it. :nilly:

I had one for just a couple of months. I picked up from another member who wasn't able to keep it with his other large cichlids, because he was taking a beating.

Once I took him home and put him in an empty 150 he decided the whole tank was his. I tried putting several large fish in with him and he would just destroy them. He was around 12" when I picked him up and was probably 14" when I was going to give him to another member. He never made the trip, doa. :(

I had him in full freshwater and had him on market shrimp. I think that he was eating about 5-6 large shrimp every other day.

In his off time he would try and attack my cat through the glass. I really do miss him, should have just kept him. I keep thinking that I am going to go ahead and get another one and grow it out this time. They are very cool fish, with very large fangs (teeth). I will try and post some of my pics when I get home.

sicxspeed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ryht Bye De Beech
what is the max size on these fish, also, they are brackish aren't they?

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
well I'm glad to see this post back from whereever it is the old posts go.

My MJ is still alive and well. He is about 6" and its teeth are really showing. My MJ is very aggressive toward other tankmates so I am keeping him in a 125g all to him self. I notice he likes to hang back and comes out only after a while. He is eating freeze dried krill, frozen silversides and the occasional feeders. He seems a bit shy according to what I'm hearing about other members. Oh, and these guys are very intelligent fish too. Hope he gets more personable with size though. Great single fish to keep, and tank maintanence with this guy is a breeze!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store