Eliminating live food,Tips & Tricks from our fellow aquarists

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
I now some of us want's to feed our specimen with safe and cheaper type of food.

Some of us are too busy:irked: /tired:cry: of going to petshops buying those expensive,not so nutritious,and disease carrying goldfish/guppies.

Can't we just open the fridge and see what are they gonna eat?:confused:

any tips from you guys on how to train fishes that are piscivores/live food eaters to eat prepared food?

Any commercialized food out there that work's best?:popcorn:

So let us contribute our personal opinion!:headbang2
I know these will be a big relief to our fellow aquarists:grinno:

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
this one worked on my snakeheads:

TIP 1
1.starved them for 3 days
2.loosely tied a piece of meat and wiggled it(using a thread)
3.Make them realize that meat is also tasty:drool:

TIP 2
1.Use the same colored net whenever you feed them live food
2.Make them realize that what's always inside it are food
3.when they are used to that routine,replace the live guppies with dead guppies
4.If they managed to eat dead guppies then its good
5.always feed them dead guppies from now on using the same colored net.
6.then eventually replacing them with the type of food you want to feed them

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
I've bought a new clown knife fish and he wont eat anythin unless you give him live guppies:screwy: he is very stubborn,so I decided to buy a japanese koi as a tankmate..this koi will eat almost anythin edible,after seeing that the koi is eating he then realized that what I am dropping are foods:drool: ..

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Trimmed beefheart, fresh fish fillets, raw shrimp, clams, mussels, whelks, cockles, crayfish, etc. from the grocery store are all fine.
Fish with heavy oil content (sardines, mackerel, etc), processed meats, cooked meats are worse for your fish than feeders. Processed meats contain high levels of nitrates and preservatives. Oily fish species foul systems quickly and reduce O2/CO2 exchange at the water's surface. Cooked foods are robbed of more nutrients than what's contained in feeder fish.
I feed large amounts of fresh fish and seafoods (and fruits/vegetables) to my fish. I also feed them live bait minnows instead of feeder goldfish. The minnows aren't maintained in high copper concentrations as the goldfish are and I've yet to see a diseased batch show up in the bait shop.

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
Euge;775615; said:
I think the only way to get your fish off live food is to starve the bastards.
yep thats the best way and its good for there health to starve them now and then , oh and wlr is right all my preds go mad for garlic

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
thats weird my fish never responde to garlic. However I use the bottled stuff, i might try fresh garlic.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
My trick with my peacock bass was to quickly throw the goldfish in the tank and the cichla would get use to that and and just hit them right away. After a week or so throw in a goldfish as usual and then toss in a piece of shrimp or something. Theyll hit it without thinking and may at first spit it out. After awhile theyll get the picture and start eating it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store