Killer TinFoil Barbs!

sunny_d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2007
Alberta
OK, so I wasnt here all last night...but when I spoke with my fiances mother...she had stated that my tinfoils attacked my aulonocara!!
Have you ever heard of killer tinfoils? They apparently killed him and he floated down to the right side of the tank....the algae eater came flying out and started eating him and so did my electric yellow labs...
does this sound normal to anyone??? Also....another quick question....Maybe I'm not feeding them enough?
I dont belive they were attacking him because he was sick...but I do think he might have been a bit weak because I noticed that he hadnt been eating...I have another aulonocara so I am worried about him getting attacked too now because he has stopped eating....
There is nothing wrong with any of my levels etc....water quality is the best!!
I feel so bad for him.....he was also a 50$ fish...so I'm out of money....what a tick off... I've uploaded a pic of the now deceased one....:cry:

I would like to find a good home actually for the tinfoils....I want to have a strictly cichlid tank....havent put out an add yet though...

Also....I didnt tell anyone on this forum yet...but if any of you have read my post before about my large apple snail.....I finally found a good home for him!!! I'm sooo happy about that!!! He just couldnt stay here...he wasnt happy....maybe some other time I get a different tank...I will get less aggressive fish...because I really do love snails! They are very entertaining!!

DSC01218.JPG

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Don't barbs require a different pH?

tyl089

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
San Jose,
Sorry to hear about your loss. You didn't say if the barb was kept with other barbs or alone by itself. Barbs are shoaling fish, so if it was kept by itself, sometimes, those kind of fish will act not "normal". Extreme aggression can be one of the characteristics. Also, if the barb was bigger than your 'cara, and the 'cara was showing weakness, it might have triggered the barb to be aggressive since most fish will try anything that it can fit into it's mouth.

sunny_d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2007
Alberta
Yeah I have only 2 tinfoil barbs....2 is better than 1 anyways..lol
But my aulonocara was about 3/4 of the 2 tinfoils .....
Is it normal for my pleco to eat dead fish?
I have never seen my tinfoils act so aggressive before ever!!! I just dont understand!!

tyl089

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
San Jose,
i have also seen plecos eating dead fish; it also depends on what kind of plecos they are, and if you are feeding them enough greens as well.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Pleco's will eat all most anything and tinfoils can get very aggressive, particularly as they get bigger. What are the sizes of the fish?

me_wee_todded

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Permian Basin
www.myspace.com
too bad man sorry for your loss.
tinfoils do get agressive when theyget bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store