Anostomus trimaculatus?

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Posted this here as it doesn't quite fit in any of the fish subforums...

Saw these at the lfs yesterday for $7. I've never seen any of the anostomus species for sale other than A. anostomus, was wondering if anyone's kept them and if they're similar in temperament & behavior to A. anostomus? There are 4...did a bit of googling and from what I've found they seem to do better in groups. I've recently upgraded to a 75g aquarium and have a 3-4" O and a 5-6" pacu; the trimaculatus are about 4". I've kept A. anostomus with my O's in the past with no trouble. And yes, the tank will be upgraded again, soon, probably this winter. Basically I resisted the impulse buy so I could at least attempt to find out something about this fish.

One thing I noticed about these guys, they didn't really "headstand" the wan A. anostomus do. They swam almost horizontally, and seemed a lot more active/fast moving than the A. anostomus I've had.

Copeina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
They are very definately a schooling fish. Treat them the same as you would A. anostomus and you will have the same success.

On an interesting note, a friend has an 800 gallon tank in the wall of his basement - with a school of Anostomus among others. They look amazing, act amazing, and spawn constantly. A perfect example of how smallish fish do great in huge tanks.

Enjoy your new finds,
/Kris

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Thanks. See, this is why I love MFK, I see a new fish that I know nothing about, have little success googling, and I post here and get a response in less than an hour's time :)

So if I decide to get them I'll get all 4...not too worried about the O, he's very mild-tempered (so far anyway). Would be very cool if they spawned, though I'm sure I'd need more fish & a bigger tank.

It's funny how many fish you'll find listed in the books as "not bred in aquaria" that actually do breed, given the right conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store