freshwater pipefish

Elgo_Sweettooth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2007
Indiana
Any thoughts on the care and water quality on these fish?
fully mature size.. all the essentials. i am gonna have a 20 long open soon will that be a large enough tank for them? how many. and what is the general price range on these guys? thanks guys and gals.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
it will be large. bigger is better, but its fine. water quality should be as perfect as u can get, pH about 7, keep nitrates as low as possible, and dont keep other fish with them, they wont get enough food. otherwise have a lot of live/fake plants, for them to hide in. have fun and any other questions let us know.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
What is the scientific name for these?

ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL

Elgo_Sweettooth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2007
Indiana
Thank you for your post. it is nice to be able to talk to people, who wont look at you as a nerd*L* or talk in such big words you just cant understand. i am not new to the tank scene, but for the most part i havent ventured out into the rare, or difficult things yet. i have my ctenipomas, and firecrackers, but i think the most exotic fish i have ever had was a leaf fish, i know once i get my fish moved from my 20long into my 55 i will want somethign for that 20.
How many pipes can you keep in a tank that size? do you by chance know of a good link i can check out to give me the low down on all the little things i would need to know? again thank you for your time. i ihope i can help you out sometime in the future.
Elgo

DHEEPAN 77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2009
singapore
they are actually a simple fish to keep don't get a large tank assure with the quantity of pipefish u want to buy then buy the tank size it is better to keep them just by them do not keep them with other species and they feed on brinshrimp make sure your tank has gt many anchor points

Bamboo_Turtles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
texas
I don't really understand your question or statment DHEEPAN . As far as how many freshwater species , God only knows as there's only a couple that come into the trade . The remaining are brackish or saltwater species . The species I currently keep are Doryichthys martensii from Thailand. I have twelve in a twenty gallon long tank with ALOT of plants , strong filter , and weak current . They do fit comfortably in a twently gallon as every fish has their own unique personality and habits . Some will rest among the plants , some are on the surface , while others are face down like a blade of grass . Weekly water changes as well as weekly water testing is important IMO . Up till now , they have been feeding on mosquito larve they relish greatly . As winter has set in , I will convert them to eating brine shrimp until the following spring . I do not know my sex ratio of my group but I'm hoping one day , I will be able to breed them . These are one of the coolest and most bizarre " oddities " available in the fish trade .

Industrial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I had a doryichthys boaja for a short while. At work it was the only of 4 pipefish to survive more than two days after shipping. It only ate live foods in the beginning, but it started to go for frozen too before I brought it. When I brought it home, I realized that the high circulation in the 10g tank he was in made him think all the frozen food was live. He refused to eat frozen at home, and died after only four days.

Before you buy one, ask to see it eat and make sure it is eating. If they aren't eating, they usually don't make it.

I am not too certain about the other species, but if you get a doryicthys boaja (Have longer snouts) I would prepare for a fish that only eats livefoods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store