LEPORINUS FASCIATUS FASCIATUS

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
Ok so I have been looking for a flagtailed characin... (semaprochilodus insignis) but to no avail. I cannot find these fish anywhere in holland or belgium or neighboring countries. The closest I found was in england but getting the fish here may prove much to difficult so I started looking for an alternative.

I need an algae eating fish that is not a plecotype because they will annoy my bichirs... so i was looking around and I found this fish :LEPORINUS FASCIATUS FASCIATUS

its a head stander type, which has a generally the same shape as the flagtailed, and judging by the shape of its mouth im thinking it is also a algae eater, which some research has confirmed. But i was wondering if anybody has experience with these fish, are they good algae eaters?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I have one (And two ULTRA rare other Leporinus) and they are very aggressive. They will chew the fins right off of any fish they can. Cichlids are good tankmates for them, and other fast fish. Bichirs would suffer nasty fin nips continuously.

As for algae, eh... not really....

Just use your arm/hand as needed.

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
We have about 4 at my work, they don't really do much algea-wise, but they sure are nice to look at.

Maybe try some larger chinese algea eaters or siamese flying foxes (but i think the foxes stop eating algea at larger sizes), if you can find some anywhere that are 5 - 6 inches, they get about 12" over the span of a few years.

You could also try, XL Applesnails, although I hate snails, just thought i'd let ya know.

ssmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
wilmington, NC
mb_barton;794388; said:
Ok so I have been looking for a flagtailed characin... (semaprochilodus insignis) but to no avail. I cannot find these fish anywhere in holland or belgium or neighboring countries. The closest I found was in england but getting the fish here may prove much to difficult so I started looking for an alternative.

I need an algae eating fish that is not a plecotype because they will annoy my bichirs... so i was looking around and I found this fish :LEPORINUS FASCIATUS FASCIATUS

its a head stander type, which has a generally the same shape as the flagtailed, and judging by the shape of its mouth im thinking it is also a algae eater, which some research has confirmed. But i was wondering if anybody has experience with these fish, are they good algae eaters?

I have one that isn't aggressive in the slightest (about 6" now). It does eat algae, however prefers fresh veggies like peas, any live plant it can chew and does absolutely nothing for keeping algae down. From what I have read though they can be aggressive, it must be the Ritalin i dose once a week.

kwl1111

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I had a 10" leporinus and it was a nasty fish. It would eat anything except algae. Even a large arowana didn't stand a chance. It stayed calm until it reached about 4" in length, but then it went crazy. You know that these fish are bad when you see them in a display with crocodiles.

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
kwl1111;795010; said:
I had a 10" leporinus and it was a nasty fish. It would eat anything except algae. Even a large arowana didn't stand a chance. It stayed calm until it reached about 4" in length, but then it went crazy. You know that these fish are bad when you see them in a display with crocodiles.
This is exactly what mine is doing now!
Mine is a ruthless KILLER!..No seriously!
Mine eats no algae but is capable of wiping out your tank. Mine is about 7-8" now.:eek:

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
a good algea destroyer in my opinion works much better than an algea eater.

Kimix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
NW Indiana/Chicago
I have two, seem to be a male/female pair. about 6" and 7", I got lucky and have two peacefull ones, but most people seem to report death follows in their wake. Mine do not eat alge whatsoever, but go insane for alage wafers/pellets. I have two Bulldog/rubbernose plecos in the tank with them, and they are the best alage eating fish I have personally had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store