Therapon jarbua aka target fish

allegra

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Cal
Anybody with any experience with these guys? I was thinking of getting a few for my lightly brackish tank. Thanx.

cuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ohio
I highly recomend them. Mine is still a little guy or gal, but attitude and personality of a much bigger fish. Every once in awhile I'll get some ghost shrimp for it to to snack on. Trust me the shrimp don't last very long at all with its appetite.

allegra

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Cal
Thanx for the info Cuda. Do you keep yours singly or in a group? Also what is the specific gravity of your tank?

cuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ohio
I keep a single one. From what I have checked on they get big. Its still a small little critter about the size of my thumb. Right now the salinity is very low. I'm bringing the salinity up very gradually as it grows.

allegra

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Cal
I got one about 3 inches long. It has been sitting around at the LFS for a while so it took freeze dried krill right away. This guy is spunky and territorial. It staked out its floor space and chases other fish away when they enter. It's in with some scats and some breams.

cuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ohio
Let me know how well it acts with the other brackish fish over a period of time. I may put some other fish with mine when it gets another tank, but not going to if it kills everything.

tawney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
la
i have 8 of them they range from 2-4 in. in a 100 gal brackish. they live with a puffer, dragon goby, upsidedown cat and 5 mollys to have babies or their lunch what ever happens first. i sware the targets don't sleep! they have chasted fish right out of the tank. they fight all the time. feeding time is crazy. they don't mess with the puffer or dragon. the rest is fair game! i love to watch them. each one has their own personality. just not sure how big thay get. when i got them in the beging of march they were less then a inch.

jonny5

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
california
tawney;1703255; said:
i have 8 of them they range from 2-4 in. in a 100 gal brackish. they live with a puffer, dragon goby, upsidedown cat and 5 mollys to have babies or their lunch what ever happens first. i sware the targets don't sleep! they have chasted fish right out of the tank. they fight all the time. feeding time is crazy. they don't mess with the puffer or dragon. the rest is fair game! i love to watch them. each one has their own personality. just not sure how big thay get. when i got them in the beging of march they were less then a inch.
the upsidedown cat fish can be placed in brackish water (like 1.005 sg). If im correct, its called the african upside down catfish, ya?

Because i have one in a 10gallon freshwater and just got a 60g gallon that im making brack. I would love to be able to have him in the bigger tank, hes got the best personality of all my current fish, cruises the bottom of the tank during feeding time like hes doing a nascare circuit. Although he did just eat my bamboo shrimp that he got along with for 3 months prior.

aussiemonsters

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2009
Australia
Common here where I live grow to 10 " with a bad attitude, will eat anything they can swallow, good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store