Porgy Acanthopagrus schlegeli

Richie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
London, England
Hi,
Have seen these guys for sale recently in freshwater, is this another case of found in freshwater but will need salt when adult or like the barramundi can live in fresh for life?
Does anyone have any experience of them, compatibility etc?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Richie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
London, England
I actually reckon it could be Acanthopagrus latus, the yellowfinned sea bream for sale. They have been noted in freshwater.

Rich

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The yellowfin sunbream is actually Acanthopagrus australis and is found in estuaries and coastal waters. The species I've found able to live in freshwater is the South African River bream (Acanthopagrus berda). Although, mine are more active with the addition of a bit of salt and alkaline conditions.

A berda2.jpg

af porgies.jpg

Richie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
London, England
Thanks for the reply.
Can they actually live in fresh for life as per Barramundi etc.

Thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
These fish are so uncommon, in the hobby, that I don't think anyone can say what conditions they'll prefer for life. However, mine are not in brackish. They're just in a high alkaline freshwater setup with a trace of marine salt.

Keep in mind that I'm keeping A. berda which is a riverine species. The yellowfin species is estuarian and coastal.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
I've kept A. berda for the past 1 1/2 year with no problem, sometimes I put some salt, but most of the times I don't, even after water change.

I also have a group of Acanthopagrus latus, captive bred ones from China, in the same water condition, but much smaller, and they are doing equally as well. I've kept one before in complete freshwater for about 2 years, until it got killed by a wolf fish. If you look in my photo lounge there is actully a low resolution 1 meg pix. pic from 1998.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store