Hampalas? Hype?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
What's all the hype about Hampala barbs? For a long time I've been seeing you guys talk and talk about these....

I have never seen any in a store before, but the other day I found two, and bought them (About 5 inches each) - They were mislabeled as black ruby barbs... hee hee... But now that I have them, what's all the hype about? Educate me all about these guys. They look awesome.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
What hype? It's simply a not all that common barb that is highly active, shoals with other hampala barbs, and reaches a ]V[onster size. Unless you think a 2 foot barb that ravenously chomps on feeders is fairly common.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
A 2 foot feeder chomper. NOW that's what I call hype. :) I was wondering about those weird mouths :)

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
Nice pick-up Jude. I had mine till he somehow got around the divider to meet the jag on the other side. There is two available here at around a foot a piece. I think if I upgrade soon and they are still available I'll pick them up.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Hey doug
I knew there was a reason you had to give up your GORGEOUS lungfish. GO FOR THOSE HAMPALAS!!!!

I got those two, and they had one more that I had missed, and got him too. They are nothing but FUN. I would recommend them!

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
I had a school of 10 hampalas, and they were by far the most awesome schooling fish ever.

These are pretty much pure muscle, and will hunt down prey like vicious little devils. I had a small 3 inch hampala swallowing 2 inch feeder rosies.

Hampala barbs are your ultimate "peaceful" monster, and the perfect dither fish in a monster tank. Constantly on the move and will feed from your hands. They get huge (in length and bulk), did I mention?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Wow - sounds like I really have a nice fish on my hands, and didn't even know it! I really dig the black bar, too.

C00K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
New York
Great MONSTER fish, I currently have 3 in my monster tank. After I saw M|L's snatch up feeders I was jealous. They make great dithers as they are fast enough to escape most other fish; and they eat anything that hits the water, so they are useful in training picky feeders onto prepared foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store