Brackish Fish

GOTFISH?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
california
I want to know if anyone keeps Silver dollars in brackish water? I have read they can "tolerate brackish" (fish geeks)(fishbase) not sure which.....Also does anyone keep needle nose gars in brackish....And what SG are they kept at? I have seen quite a few sites that state certain fish are brackish, many Central American cichlids can be kept high brackish to full marine...Anyone know of a definitive list of brackish fish and what SG they can be kept at?

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
No idea about the silver dollars, but im sure they could accimate if you did the acclimation slowly. Also a good list of BW fish are Mono Sabae, Knight gobies, some archer fish, Scats ...

tonymarinara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
buffalo, ny
green spotted puffers, figure 8 puffers, sand gobies, flounders, bumblebee goby, mollies, datnoides, scats-red, silver, green.....
the list goes on. i don't think there IS an all-inclusive list. and thats ok with me. thats part of the fun of brackish tanks is discovering new fish to try your hand at. important-remember to always do your research BEFORE buying the new fish. The last thing you want is to put, say, a sand goby in with some bumblebee or knight gobies or mollies or even small puffers, etc! these guys eat voraciously. I've only ever seen one in person, and he was in my tank. My brother(my fish buddy) saw him at the store with my sister and tehy just couldn't resist surprising me. To this day, one of the coolest fish I've had. Had to get rid of him cuz he ate too much for me at the time. I was young and not yet working and couldnt afford feeders and didnt have a car to go buy them. I LOVE BRACKISH!!!! many fish that live near where fresh water meets salt can/do adapt. Thats a big part of the reason there are so many ifs and maybes with brackish. but if you do enough research on particular fish before buying them you should be fine. sorry I couldn't help more about the gar and/or silver dollars. never kept them in brackish.

Marine.Maniac101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2007
the milkyway
Most fresh fish can tolerate brackish water but I wouldn't push it.... The silver dollar I am pretty sure however can handle brackish water pretty well as long as the salinity isn't on the higher range of brackish salinity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store