Gymnothorax tile

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
do thay have teeth like a real moray eel?
What if it was to bite me when feeding it? I use long feeder tongs but still have to put my hands in the water to reach him. Came close to getting hit but not yet, also am a little worried about doing water vacs. I have gloves but not sure if it will help if he has teeth.
What and how often am i to feed him? Right now i give him silver sides krill, and scalops that i cut up. I feed him once to twice a day. I know some fish like lions have a slow digestive (sp) so have to feed them little meels every other day. Anyway
How meen or they , this thing goes nuts some times and will hit the scats and sharks i have.
Tank is 125, brackish 1.012-1.015 with 3 archers, 4 scats, and 3 white tip sharks..
thanks for any help

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Sounds like a nice brackish setup you have. G. tile are "real morays" so they do have some dentition. Also, I would characterize them as predatory, not aggressive. However, you still need to watch your fingers when you feed. They will bite, likely because they think your fingers are food, and it will hurt. :(

moespeaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
Massachusetts
my old freshwater moray got me on the finger once and it was pretty ugly. Bled for like 10-15 minutes. I know someone that got bitten on the finger by a moray and it wouldnt let go, and he was forced to cut its head off... true story. Besides that one bad bite he got me a few other times and just let go right away doing little to no damage.

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
ouch ok, ill just have to watch out. Its a big tank and he is only a little over a foot. Im thinking of some kinda devider i can use to keep him from me when cleaning. hehe, and here i was afraid of the scats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store