Guess the brackish water fish

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Time to represent the brackish water fish !
Let me start..

Im gonna make this easier.. Common names and Scientifics names are both allowed.

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
boy you guys it is a bala cat see the whiskers...(Arius jordani)... btw why do people call them sharks is it just because wal mart does? :ROFL: no seriously what would make it a shark???

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hexanematichthys seemani, the Tete sea catfish,

This fish has been listed unde at least six diffrent genus and not less than fifteen species names as well as over twenty common names.

So far I think all of us are right and flammingwoodchuck was first.

The listing I gave is the current "correct" one, at least this week.lol.

Hesee_u2.jpg

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
rweedon said:
boy you guys it is a bala cat see the whiskers...(Arius jordani)... btw why do people call them sharks is it just because wal mart does? :ROFL: no seriously what would make it a shark???
They are called sharks because...well...they look like sharks and the name attracts people's attention.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
According to fishbase this fish has had many names since 1864, here is a partial list and you did say common names were allowed so I think the woodchuck was first with columbian shark.
anyway this is a partial list of listing under which this fish has been filed.

Arius seemanni
A. assimilus
A. jordani
Ariopsis seemani
Galeichthy simonsi
G. eigenmanni
G. gilberti
G. jordani
G. seemanni
Hexanematichthys seemani
H. jordani
H. simonsi
Tachisurus seemani
T. eigenmanni

The name listed as currently valid is Hexanematichthys seemani (the Tete sea catfish)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Well flamminwoodchuck was first with a common name (actually 2) that have been used for that fish, but you had a Linneas classification that was once valid,

I think you should thumb wrestle for it but I guess it will have to be a race.
First to post a pic wins.

That was pretty weird.
It has been also sold as bagre, begre, bagre tete, bagre shark, grey shark, jordan sea cat, and silver shark, and that was just what I found before getting tired of chasing links.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store