mudskipper setup

Derf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Illinois, near chicago
I've had an empty 20 gallon long tank for quite a while now, and I want to do something with it. I decided on mudskippers. Pretty much i want to know whatever I can about the Indian Mudskippers, since they're the smallest. I know they are brackish (otherwise I wouldve posted this in a different area), need around 1/2 the tank land, and stay around 4". Will red mangroves be fine ? Thanks.

And also, what size tank does a freshwater/brackish stonefish need?

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
stonefish get 8'' max i think so around 30-40 gallon
and mudskippers eat crickets worms fish and theres not to much to it mangroves would be fine

digitalbliss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
They're great animals, and I've enjoyed having them for about 1 year now. I don't do a half-land/half-water setup, as they spend about 90-95% of their time out of the water.
The only reason I would put that much water with them is if you wanted to keep small fish with them. Depending on the size that you can obtain them, I would recommend Species-only.
Having one-per tank is great, but if you can get 2 or 3 they are a riot. They will jump all over the place with each other and you get to see them displaying their fins for dominance. If you do this, I would get no more than 3 for your size tank and always ALWAYS watch for signs of aggression. A lot of people that keep more than one end up having the dominant one take eyes off of the others.

Food - Flakes, Bloodworms, and Crickets are basically what mine live on, but I'm trying to vary the foods a bit more from this point and if you do some research there are other foods out there.

They like warmer water as compared to a lot of fish, and a humid tank.

Derf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Illinois, near chicago
the mudskippers could climb the mangroves? and would around 80-82 degrees be good?

Derf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Illinois, near chicago
and also, what sort of filter should I get?

digitalbliss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
That's the temp that I've read for them, I try and keep it a little cooler because of the summer heat right now. I have just a regular internal canister filter, my setup isn't that intricate. I just placed it behind some stuff so that they can't mess with it.
As for the Mangroves, they would require you to have an open top on the tank which would make it harder to achieve the humidity they like, but a lot of people do it to try and replicate their natural environment. I'd read up on Mangroves first, as they seem to eat light and need TONS of it. I doubt they'd be able to climb all the way out of the tank if it were open, as mine can only hop up on the glass and don't get half way up the height.

Derf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Illinois, near chicago
okay, so if I do have the tank be half water and half land, any ideas on tankmates? Or really just feeders that could be in the tank.

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
strange i read red mangroves are very undemanding for light

but i read also if you spray the leaves with fresh water everyday they grow faster.
something to do with the salt crystals i think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store