Top Level Stocking

§tudz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2006
UK
Andinoacara.com
Hi,

I've been a member here for a while but never actaully posted, but now comes the time for a little help.

I currently have 9 tanks ranging from 5gals to 120gals, with the 120gal tank being my latest setup.

Well onto my query...

I'm having trouble in finding a fish to stock the top level of the tank, I'm a big catfish and oddball fan, but unfortunatly that coveres mainly mid to bottom levels of the tank.

Current stocking: (4'x2'x2')

- 1x Polypterus Senegalus
- 2x Polypterus Delhezi
- 1x Channa Gachua
- 4x Chromobotia macracanthus
- 1x L001
- 1x L018/L085 (not sure which)
- 1x Synodontis Ocellifer
- 1x Chitala chitala (getting rid of)

As you can see these are bottom dwellers, and mostly hide away, the bichirs are out and about a lot and the clown loaches, unless you appraoch the tank too quickly.

I am also looking for a Pimelodus orantus, I did have a friend who dealt with a few importers who could get me one, but he no longer deals with that importer :(
I was also looking for a D. pulcher, but finding a true pulcher is like getting hens teeth around here, so I've given up on that one.

So what would you suggest to fill the top levels?

I dont want any of the following:

- Overly Agressive cichlids
- Gars
- African Pike

I have though about the following, but there are arguments against and for:

- Oscar
- Firemouth Cichlid (male)
- flagtail prochilodus or insignis

I want something that is bright and interesting and not shy, as the tank is in a relatively busy room.

And suggest will be great, many thanks,

lilith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
FLORIDA
The FM seem to be mid to bottom dwellers as well but would have color. Severums have color and stay mid to top level except for sleeping. I also keep giant danios with some of my larger fish since they are always active, always at the top of the tank and seem to be able to keep out of the way of the ones who may try to eat them. Good luck!

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
i think the most obvious answer would be an aro but you have to upgrade the tank size soon

Anoetic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
UK
Hi,
in a very similar setup i have a trio of Ctenolucius hujeta which look good.

§tudz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2006
UK
Andinoacara.com
Peacock bass are something I've thought about, but never seen anywhere around here.

As for gars, danios that a no :) and FW archers will need a lot of upper level covergae that I cant provide :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store