Anyone keep Monos

OscarRobinson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I saw them at a LFS yesterday and thought they were really nice looking. They looked like a cooler version of angle fish. I came home and googled them(learned my lesson on taking the LFS's info on the care of any fish). I found one site that said they would eventually need high end brackish to full marine. Is that true?

circusvoodooninja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
nc
I have heard the same. I have also been duped into impulse buys, and later find that the fish I have really ought to be in a brackish enviroment.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
They do need to be in brakish to full salt, depending of which species of monodactylus it is.

native_barra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2007
australia
i have had monos before and yes they need high salt brackish, they survive in fresh for about 2 or 3 days then die so i would suggest getting some natural brackish water and checking the salt content then adding if need be. they are very nice fish to have and if you keep them until they grow to adult hood then they display a very playful personality. i got mine to grow to just over 200mm.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
i have seen monos been kept in a very hard alkaline african tank at my lfs display tank. but as wyldflya said it depends on the species i only have a bit of knowledge on keeping brackish fish.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
if you check youtube you'll see my friends mono. he kept it in full fresh for over a year n a half. it only died later during a tank upgrade but the water amount was equal to a 80% wc n the fish didn't like that =x

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
12 Volt Man;896341; said:
my monos: full salt (1.018 sg)
Nice looking Argentus. Just picked up a small one yesterday to go in the 29 with the ruby scat, F8 puffers, and bumblebee gobies.
From my understanding sg 1.018 is brackish, full salt would be 1.025 and above.
Just what I've read, could be wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store