toxotes guide(kinda)

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Okay pretty much im going to outline the seven or odd different species of archer fish. got most of my info off www.fishbase.org and pics off google.

Toxotes Jaculatrix, Toxotes Jaculator
Starting off with toxotes jaculatrix. the most common archerfish. most people think this is the only archer.

Stats(note the stats are for wild specimens and may vary and probably will in the aqauraium, this applies to all stats in this section):

Maximum size: 30cm
Environment: freshwater or brackishwater
Temperature: 25-30 degrees celcius.

Toxotes Kimberlyensis.
Pictures @ http://www.amonline.net.au/pdf/publications/1423_complete.pdf
sorry about no picture couldnt copy picture.

this fish has only been discovered recently and was described from 20 specimens. it has only been found in the kimbereleys a remote area of western australia.

Stats:
Max size: 12-15cm (mixed reports)
Environment: This is a strictly freshwater fish ONLY.
Temperature: N/A

Toxotes Microlepis.

a very beutiful archer.
Stats:
Max size: 15cm
Environment: Brackish and Freshwater.

Toxotes Oligolepis.
Cannot get a fixed picture ( i am getting different pistures on google).

Stats:
Max size:15cm
Environment: Once again this is a strcitly freshwater fish.
Temperature:24-30 degrees celcius.

Toxotes blythii.

This is my favourite due to the stricking markings on the flanks.
this is the fish i want!!! am going out of my way to get it and if i do i promise to upload pics galore!!!

Stats:
Max size: N/A
Environment: Stricly freshwater.

Toxotes Chatareus, Toxotes Chatercus.

the way to distinguish this species from toxotes jaculatrix is A) the max size, b) the markings, the stripes/bars go small big small big.

Stats:
Max Size: 40cm
Environment: freshwater brackish
Temperature: 25-30 degrees celcius.

Toxotes lorentzi
Cannot find a picture.

Stats:
Maximum size:18cm
Environment: Strictly freshwater
Temperature:24-32 degrees celcius.

this guide was just to let people know there is more than one species of archerfish and to give people a basic some up of each one(where i could) and that not all archerfish are brackish(most arent).

Reactions: xenacanth9

docr34

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Australia
amehel0;917749; said:
nice pics. so you have an archer with barely any visible spots? are they hybrids or something?

No, They are Primitive Archers or (Toxotes Lorentzi) Im not sure but i think they are the only type of archers without stripes or spots..

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
yeh so finally can get pics of lorentzi. they would most definently be the only without markings. thanks for that. nice fish too

bartier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Australia
I'll have to put up a picture of mine so I can be sure of what it is. I'm nearly positive its jaculatrix but it could be chatercus.

bartier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Australia
If you get a chance could you look at it and see what it is in my topic 'My archer spitting'. It would be greatly appreciated amelh0. I'm almost positive it's jaculatrix but I just want some clarification.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store