Will Monos eat "FW" Flounders (Hogchokers)?

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
Oddball;912953; said:
Probably not. However, the hogchokers will likely starve from the faster monos wolfing up all the live shrimp and live worms before they get a crack at them.
Cool, thanks.

One advantage the hogchokers have is that I've got 9 of them in the most ideal conditions I could emulate in an aquarium. As such, they appear stress-free and social.

My mono sebaes are slightly staggered in their size and there are 3 of them so they spend most of their time chasing each other. I've been trying to condition them to eating live guppies, brine shrimp, thawed brine shrimp and dried blood worms 3 times a day. Half an hour after their last feeding, I cut the lights and drop in sinking shrimp pellets, live brine shrimp, thawed brine shrimp, dried frozen bloodworms and even fish flakes and granules. After the first week, I'm able to observe the hogchokers emerge from the sand and hop around consuming the goodies.

I've been thinking of trying out other fish in this setup but my main goal is to give the hogchokers a long life. What would you say to adding Swordtails, Florida Flagfish, Kribs, Australian Rainbow fish or a Horse-faced loach?

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
Well, I've done a bit more research and I'm slightly disappointed. Hogchokers really need a species-only brackish tank and mono sebaes are voracious saltwater monsters. As such I must cut my losses and breakdown the brackish (now bordering SW) tank.

I have a seperate large communty tank that would be really peaceful if it weren't for the only cichlid inhabitants, a pair of 3rd generation kribs that are breeding so I am going to off-load all the pseudo-salty critters to the LSWFS and move the newlyweds into the defunct tank.

As I understand it, the nice sand I bought and any remaining salt (below 1.010SG) shouldn't bother the kribs at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store