That's just not right

aravenschild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
missouri,usa
Ok, I've been reading everyones questions and comments on their violet goby's aka dragon goby.....
Everyone says they need brackish water, (mines in freshwater, been there for three years)
That they hide all the time, (mines out most of the time)
They are picky eaters, (mine eats everything that will fit down its throat)
My question, is it just extremely fat or gravid? And if I'm doing everything wrong, how is it surviving?:confused:
Oh, and doesn't it have a cute little face in picture #4?:WHOA: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

100_1224.JPG

100_1226.JPG

100_12331.jpg

100_1232.JPG

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I have kept them in freshwater, and have observed the same as you - they aren't so delicate as people think. They just need to eat a lot to be healthy. I think yours is just fat :)

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
i saw them at petco and they always say brackish!! idk much about them but im pretty damn sure you can have them in freshwater for a while if not their entire life span. the majority of brackish fish are not brackish at all, their so accepting to fresh or marine depending on the fish that i couldnt possibly call that true brackish!! could you??

aravenschild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
missouri,usa
to fish room plus,
its been in fresh water for three years, its healthy,active, and on the verge of being obese. When I got it, it was skin and bones!!!!!

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
you lucky lucky git,,i must admit he dos look very healthy,,,is there enough salt in there to give a reading on a hydrometer?even if its like 0.001??

aravenschild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
missouri,usa
To Danny,
Does aquarium salt read the same as marine salt on a hydrometer?( I know maybe stupid question, just don't know about brackish or salt water tanks. )
I use aquarium salt (one teaspoon per ten gallons)
According to the hydrometer (if I'm reading it right) its at 1.000, I'll have my daughter double check when she gets home, she knows more about brackish water then I do.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Well if they are esturine fish... they are going to be pretty tolerant of different salinities. However in the main they would be found in a brackish water situation. People who keep the converted sw to fw bumblebee groupers... have done for a couple of years. Which is great. Haven't heard of one living over 5 years. Actually make that 3. Maybe there is the odd one or two, but it isn't many. Some things like that do not take immediate effect. As for feeding... some have problems feeding some don't- I would imagine it is down to the individual fish and a number of other different factors. Does this help answer your question?

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
aravenschild;951308; said:
To Danny,
Does aquarium salt read the same as marine salt on a hydrometer?( I know maybe stupid question, just don't know about brackish or salt water tanks. )
I use aquarium salt (one teaspoon per ten gallons)
According to the hydrometer (if I'm reading it right) its at 1.000, I'll have my daughter double check when she gets home, she knows more about brackish water then I do.
not stupid at all,thats a good question and the answer is yes it reads the same:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store