Fresh 2 Brackish

mcox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Is there anything I need to know before making the change?

I have an established freshwater tank that needs to be transitioned to brackish.

It will house Columbian Sharks and Sebaes.

Ph is about 8.2

Alkalinity 180ppm

Hardness 250ppm

Weekly water changes 50%

Aquarium volume: 210g

Temp 79F

I find it hard to believe that its as simple as adding marine salt.

Any and all advice will help, thank you.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I ran a brackish Eel tank for a lot of years and other than checking the ballance once in a while it really IS that easy.

mcox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wolf3101;971855; said:
I ran a brackish Eel tank for a lot of years and other than checking the ballance once in a while it really IS that easy.
by "balance" you mean salinity right?
sorry, i dont really want to assume anything...

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Have a hydometer handy. Add enough satl to create a salt content of 1.004. Wait 1 hour befor adding the fish. Your done:OMG:

mcox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
the fish are already in.

its an established fresh water tank...

my columbian sharks and sebaes were sold to me in freshwater... they've been in fresh water... and now i'd like them to be in bw... like they should be.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
then slowly add salt until it reaches 1.0 or so. no need for a big imediate change. do it over the course of several days.

bartier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Australia
Do you pre-mix salt into the water you are going to add to the tank?

MCHRKiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
usa
I would pre-mix the salt, yes :) IMO the best way of creating salinity in a tank of BW fish that are currently in FW is to do your normal waterchanges and the water you add back to the tank make it salty :) I see you do a 50% waterchange perhaps when you add your water back to the tank, mix it up to about 1.005ish and replace it that should give your tank a SG of half that. Repeat until your tank reads at a 1.005ish which is a very low brackish salitity, and if you desire to raise it and Im sure your monos would prefer that just increase the salinity of the water added back at your waterchanges. Best method IMO, brackish fish are quite accustomed to having their SG flunctuate and most seem to enjoy it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store