29 gallon brackish noob

bigriver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Florida
Just looking for ideas. i have 30lbs of carib sand some dead live rock and qiuet one 700 gph scwd(drilled tank) set up.This was going to be full salt but decided not to (to much money) so what fish stays small likes alot of current and is brackish.and any other helpful ideas.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Can't ever go wrong with a couple of puffers and a pair of FW morey eels...but then that's just my own personal tastes.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
although that would be way overstocked for a 29g, i'd go with an F8 puffer, a knight goby and some bumblebee gobies or mollies or guppies.

bigriver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Florida
sounds good so far,but do you think they can stand the current 20x an hour turn over or is this to much and i should just throw on a hob filter.how about dartfish do they get to big

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
probably, i've got a 25x turnover on my 10g BW and none of my fish have ever minded it, though an f8 puffer would probably like a little less current. it's pretty easy(and cheap) to just get a ball valve and tone down the flow a bit.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
actually alot of puffers come from high current areas (tho you'd never guess it) i would do the F8 and a few BBG's or celebese raibow fish

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
some puffers and maybe a bottom fish would be good in a tank like that as long as there is adequate hiding spots...never kept gobies, so can't really suggest them though.

cuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ohio
My wife and I changed her 55 gal. tank to brackish. We currently have a red saddle puffer (Takifugu occletus..?) and 3 green spotted puffers. We had to get a tank divider. The red saddle killed the previous 2 green spotted puffers we had with it.

OH my point was get a puffer. They're really cool brackish fish.

bigriver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Florida
I went to the pet store around here and i never noticed before they have a whole brackish selection scats,mono,bumble bee,dragons and puffers. i def want a puffer,what are they compatible with?

cuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ohio
I'm no expert on puffers; I'm learning myself. I have seen them in a video with mudskippers and archer fish. It kind of depends on the puffer too. I tried a columbian catfish with the Red Saddle Puffer and green spotted puffers with them, but they didn't even last a day. The puffer chew the catfish to death and I got a tank divider keeping the Red Saddle away from the new Green Spotted ones.

If you get Green Spotted you may have more luck with tankmates. They seem less aggressive or territorial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store