PDA

View Full Version : new oscars spitting out food?

thayayballa
07-15-2007, 11:52 PM
i just got a pair of albino oscars yesterday and they havent been eating. i tried feeding them dainichi xl pro pellets and they just spit it back out. do i have to experiment with other pellets or do i just keep feeding this and wait.

thanks

Renteria
07-15-2007, 11:53 PM
thats how they eat

Cross127
07-16-2007, 12:05 AM
True that they are messy eaters but if they are spitting everything out then they are adjusting to their new home give them two weeks and everything will be like normal routine. Don't bother wasting all that food feed them sparingly during their aclamation to the tank. Just let them learn where the food is going to be and how often you are going to feed them.

jordanlewis100
07-16-2007, 9:55 AM
i would also feed chunky foods such as fish,prawns,shellfish etc aswell as the pellets as they enjoy this sort of food and they won't make as much mess

thayayballa
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
now one of them are starting to eat and i am feeding hikari cichlid gold. they eat the pellets and hold it in for a few minutes and then spits everything out in little pieces. is it just the food or do they still need to time to adjust to the tank.

thanks

black_monster
07-18-2007, 12:20 AM
i think they need to get used to the food. my fh did this for a few weeks, a pain in the hoppo.

Mystix212
07-18-2007, 1:15 AM
Try feeding live foods.

GregRM
07-18-2007, 8:37 AM
I'd stay away from live foods.

This is the way Oscars eat. Mine does the same.

As they get hungrier they will swallow more. Don't worry an Oscar will not starve itself.

AndreR
07-18-2007, 8:40 AM
It also took some time for my Oscars to take pellets, but they obviously still prefer anything softer....like dried Gammarus....

south coast nelly
07-18-2007, 9:14 AM
iam new to the site...had my oscars for a year now when i first got them i feed them loads of woodlice and they only wanted to eat them so when winter came ohhh had problems...took two weeks to eat the pellets so now i feed them 3 different types of cichlid foods,bottom feeder pellets,peas,shrimps,spiders,woodlice,and so on so veritys the spice of life:naughty:

thebestincali2000
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
the best diet is a large variety of foods.live foods let your fish exercise a little cause they gotta chase it,but pellets are almost a complete diet on their own.nothing gets an oscar to eat like a little fish wiggling in front of its face,proven fact.

ksfishguy
07-18-2007, 1:41 PM
My tiger oscar did the same thing with the Hikari Gold Pellets. He puts about five of the pellets in his mouth at once, some stay in, some fly out. I wouldn't worry, he will eat eventually. I didn't feed mine for a couple of days and lookout, he turned into an eating machine!

Snake_Eyes
07-18-2007, 4:44 PM
I just picked up a 7" oscar yesterday and he doesn't spit any of his pellets out, my jag spits them out before swallowing them though.

I'm feeding Hikari Bio-Gold.

sclabman
07-18-2007, 6:52 PM
my oscar eats hikari gold like candy... such greedy little guy