new oscars spitting out food?

thayayballa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2007
bay area
i just got a pair of albino oscars yesterday and they havent been eating. i tried feeding them dainichi xl pro pellets and they just spit it back out. do i have to experiment with other pellets or do i just keep feeding this and wait.

thanks

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
True that they are messy eaters but if they are spitting everything out then they are adjusting to their new home give them two weeks and everything will be like normal routine. Don't bother wasting all that food feed them sparingly during their aclamation to the tank. Just let them learn where the food is going to be and how often you are going to feed them.

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
i would also feed chunky foods such as fish,prawns,shellfish etc aswell as the pellets as they enjoy this sort of food and they won't make as much mess

thayayballa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2007
bay area
now one of them are starting to eat and i am feeding hikari cichlid gold. they eat the pellets and hold it in for a few minutes and then spits everything out in little pieces. is it just the food or do they still need to time to adjust to the tank.

thanks

GregRM

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Toronto
I'd stay away from live foods.

This is the way Oscars eat. Mine does the same.

As they get hungrier they will swallow more. Don't worry an Oscar will not starve itself.

AndreR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Germany
It also took some time for my Oscars to take pellets, but they obviously still prefer anything softer....like dried Gammarus....

south coast nelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
iam new to the site...had my oscars for a year now when i first got them i feed them loads of woodlice and they only wanted to eat them so when winter came ohhh had problems...took two weeks to eat the pellets so now i feed them 3 different types of cichlid foods,bottom feeder pellets,peas,shrimps,spiders,woodlice,and so on so veritys the spice of life:naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store