Brackish question....

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Ok...I have a 90 gal brackish tank...I have scats, monos, orange chromides, and knight gobies....They are all just around the 2" mark...
What I am wondering is.....Are there any algae eaters out there that I can put in my tank? My current PPL is @ 1.014 - 1.016. I am having some issues with the build up I am getting...I do clean the glass, but now the crap is growing on my gravel. For the most part the scats seem to like picking it off of the plastic plants, and the big deco rocks...If I could just get an algae eater in there, that would be great!

Jen ;) :feedback:

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
FISH ROOM PLUS said:
Sorry, no such fish :(
Awwww, your kidding me! That really sucks.....
What about a lawnmower blenny? Do they need to be in complete salt water....and if so, How much salt could my Knight Gobies, and my Orange Chromides take?

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Small Scats are baby fish and will quickly become large fish with
decent care.
They will also happily eat plants right along with
the algae.
Last, these are brackish bordering on marine fish and
really shouldn't be kept in a FW tank although they are hardy
enough to tolerate these inappropriate conditions for a pretty
long time.

Sorry Jen don't wanna sound like i'm underminding you this post is also for people who arn't too sure about brackish water's.

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
DanDanUK said:
Small Scats are baby fish and will quickly become large fish with
decent care.
They will also happily eat plants right along with
the algae.
Last, these are brackish bordering on marine fish and
really shouldn't be kept in a FW tank although they are hardy
enough to tolerate these inappropriate conditions for a pretty
long time.

Sorry Jen don't wanna sound like i'm underminding you this post is also for people who arn't too sure about brackish water's.

Thats fine...I was not offended. I have had Scats and Monos before. I just now have a FULL brackish tank, I have always thought that what I was doing before was good enough. But My Scats I used to have were about 3 years old when they died. I wanted to get a "true" brackish tank going. And I am having fun doing it! I love to watch them grow! My Gobies are so happy, that they have spawned 2 time now! Of course the eggs never make it, but what are ya gonna do? Its just plain fun!!!

Jen ;)

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
jenBLKAROWANA said:
Thats fine...I was not offended. I have had Scats and Monos before. I just now have a FULL brackish tank, I have always thought that what I was doing before was good enough. But My Scats I used to have were about 3 years old when they died. I wanted to get a "true" brackish tank going. And I am having fun doing it! I love to watch them grow! My Gobies are so happy, that they have spawned 2 time now! Of course the eggs never make it, but what are ya gonna do? Its just plain fun!!!

Jen ;)
Well good luck with it all.

Post us some pic's when you get chance.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
For now flagfins (Jordanella floridae) and mollies will control filamentous algae but they top out at 2 1/2" or so and eventually will end up snacks.

Joflo_m0.jpg

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Okay, two more, both gobies, the larger one is the river goby (Awaous banana) that gets to 12"s long, and a smaller one , the caribbean Sirajo goby, (Sicydium plumeri) tahat only gets to 4", both are brackish algae grazers. This pic is the river goby, the sirajo is similar in looks, just smaller.
Wami tilapia are algae and detritis feeders that reach 10"s but are full bodied fish so might be too big and are pickers like scats instead of grazers like the gobies.

Awban_u0.jpg

Sipun_u7.jpg

Oruro_m0.jpg

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Hey Jen,

What is PPL? Your 1.014 to 1.016 sound like a specific gravity value. If you have a specific gravity of 1.014 to 1.016 and your using synthetic sea salt ( not fresh water aquarium salt) There are many true salt water fish that will live in this value. A really good algae eater for your gravel would be red or blue leg hermit crabs normally used in reef aquariums. They are small but very good cleaners. A lawn mower blenny would live in 14 to 16 specific gravity, so would many tangs.

I hope I don't sound stupid for not knowing what ppl is. I'm sure it's part per -something. For salt measure I am only familure with Specific Gravity (S.G.) or parts per thousand (ppt)

Joel

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Ornatapinnis said:
Hey Jen,

What is PPL? Your 1.014 to 1.016 sound like a specific gravity value. If you have a specific gravity of 1.014 to 1.016 and your using synthetic sea salt ( not fresh water aquarium salt) There are many true salt water fish that will live in this value. A really good algae eater for your gravel would be red or blue leg hermit crabs normally used in reef aquariums. They are small but very good cleaners. A lawn mower blenny would live in 14 to 16 specific gravity, so would many tangs.

I hope I don't sound stupid for not knowing what ppl is. I'm sure it's part per -something. For salt measure I am only familure with Specific Gravity (S.G.) or parts per thousand (ppt)

Joel

LOL.....I meant PPT...lol....thank you for the correction.....But thanks sooo much for the info! I will be shopping this coming weekend for some fish or the hermit crabs....
I do use Oceanic Sea Salt....
Jen ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store