Dog faced puffer triggerfish

waylon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2005
beanstation tn
I just got a dog faced puffer and put him in with an undulate or bluelined trigger in a 55 gallon tank.Does anyone know if this tank is the right size for him?The undulate bit him over a peace of food but they seem alright are these fish copadible or is the undulate to aggresive for any other fish?I had to put a tank divider to seperate them because of the one time he bit the puffer.The puffer is alot bigger than the trigger.I would like to get rid of thr undulate trigger and leave the puffer in the tank alone.Any suggestions.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
not sure i can help you with a suggestion, but I just want to add that the dog faced puffer are awesome little fish. Probably my favorite saltwater puffer :thumbsup:

mkpeters6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2005
denver/syracuse
the puffer will eventually outgrow the 55gal tank even if hes in there by himself - im not sure how fast the dogface puffer's growth rate is - i had a porcupine puffer and he seemed to grow pretty fast - they love to eat

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
The undulated trigger is the nastiest of all the triggers.Eventually will have to get a 125gal for the puffer,even if he is alone.

waylon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2005
beanstation tn
I finally got rid of the triggerfish.I now have the puffer by himself.Maybe he wont outgrow his tank but for now he seems alright.I seen an article on one website that said most dog faced puffer only grow to 8 or 9 inches in the home aquarium.And the minumum tank was a 55 gallon.

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Your puffer will than you. Undulatus and blue line are two differant triggers but they are both really mean. Most likley you had a undulatus. The undulatus is one of the meanest triggers you can buy, it mosy likely would have killed your dog face. I had one that litterally killed or beat up everything it was put in with, even fish 2 & 3 times it size.

Dog face puffers get about 8" or so. THey are slow growing when compaired to most other arotherons. Assuming that it's not big yet, a 55 will be fine for a while but an 8"er might be better in a 120 or 125. Feed it a diet that includes veggies like formula two from Ocean nutrition with marine meats like squid and shrimp. THey are really cool little guys, I like 'em. :thumbsup:

Joel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store