archer fish tank size

acidburn470

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fort Collins
So I am looking at getting some archer fish for a new tank set up, and was wondering what your opnion is on what size the tank should be? When I was at the fish store the guy told me 15 gallons for each archer you have, and I felt like that might be a little low.

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
at least a 125gallon
they get up to 1', and you should get a few others with it, 3archers would be nice, they get pretty active in a school also.
but they are not fast growers.
oh yeah, i forgot to mention, they are one of the largest of the brackish fish species.

even though they are large, they are peaceful and are generally easy to keep.
ideal tankmates can include, puffers, scats, monos, and other brackish fish.the temeperature of the tank sould be around 68-82F
ph 7.0-8.0.,
and the kh is 9-19.

they are omnivores and will eat live insects, mealworms, freeze dried plankton. you should also add seaweed to supplement this diet.

Also, it is ideal to keep the water level of the aquarium a few inches below the top giving them room to practice their hunting!

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
good luck!

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
did you read this already?

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
hey kento hurting for posts? you can keep them in a 75 gallon just fine I would suggest keeping them one per tank! at least that has been my experience they are easily kept in anyting over a 55 gallon when he told you 15 gal. did he give you a min and each extra one you get add at least 15 gal. cuz you can not keep in a 15 under any circumstances. I just got my first one and he is in my 75 community tank and trying to eat black neons the same size he is quite the little hunter!

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
what do you mean by hurting for posts??
75gallons is a little small, ain't u think??
while it's small that's fine but they get big!
how big was yours when it was in the 75g?

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
it is about 1" in the 75 and I have seen a lot of archers a couple that had been in a 200+ gal tank they were only about 9"!! and they had been in that same tank for a few years!!!

Seperate post: good luck

Seperate post: are you going to read this

Hey Neo can I get three posts for this?

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
you should put this in dA brackish page to get more responses.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Oh and im not sure if anyone has noticed but the species of archer has not been mentioned....There are a few available species of archers and some get to 1 foot long and others only 15cm (Toxotes oligolepis), so it isnt really advisable to give advice when not all the facts are there. (like telling someone to get a 200Gal tank or larger because they have a snakehead....then you find out its a Bleheri....)

So, do you know what species of archer it is? do you have any pics for identification?
Thanks, and if you do get some i say congratulations! i have 1 and he is a pleasure because he loves shooting at insects, it is AWESOME!

acidburn470

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fort Collins
Im not sure what species it is. They are just labeled at the LFS as archer fish. The dude said at least 15 gallon tank for one which I thought was really low. But I dont know if archer fish look any diffrent cause I have only seen these ones and the ones my friend has. I'll call the fish store and ask today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store