dats in brackish water

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
How essential is it to raise dats in brackish water? I put aquarium salt in with every water change. Is this sufficient? What is the best way to go about turning the tank to brackish? I heard that aquarium salt will not do the job right.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Just like stated above a Dat should not have any problem living in freshwater. In wild the swim around between fresh and brackish waters.

Michael 125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2005
Ft. Myers, Fl
I was wondering if there is such thing as a Red Datnoid. I supposibly had one a year or so back and thought that its coloration and traits were interesting. The teeth were quite pronounced I remember. So if anyone has any clue on what I'm talking about let me know if i actually had one or not and some additional info.

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
Does aquarium salt contribute to the salinity of the tank?

And as for the red dat, I've never heard of one. Do you have more specific details?

kyleking007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
Indianapolis
if you are trying to do brackish you should use sea salt. but as far as the dats go im far from an expert on them. but i am interested in learning something about them.

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
downset21;123955; said:
How essential is it to raise dats in brackish water? I put aquarium salt in with every water change. Is this sufficient? What is the best way to go about turning the tank to brackish? I heard that aquarium salt will not do the job right.
The only dats that are deemed brackish are AT(silver dat) and NGT. Both can live their lives in full fresh. I have a silver almost 11-12" living in full fresh and no problems. Same thing for all 11 of my ngt's. If your going to keep them brackish, use sea water mix and slowly acclimate them.

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Michael 125;124206; said:
I was wondering if there is such thing as a Red Datnoid. I supposibly had one a year or so back and thought that its coloration and traits were interesting. The teeth were quite pronounced I remember. So if anyone has any clue on what I'm talking about let me know if i actually had one or not and some additional info.
Red datnoid are mislabled Mangrove jacks. MJ are very aggressive and go from fresh-brackish to full salt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store