How do you mix your water conditioner with your tank water?????

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Do you guys just put it in after water changes or premix it with the water before you add the water to the tank??? If you just add it to the tank after water changes dosen't that dilute the conditioner and not let it fully due it's job???

Last time, many years ago, when I used city water I used to pre-mix the water and conditioner before it went into my tank. But now I have a lot more tanks, and do a lot more water changes, and wonder how important it is to do that???? Don't get me wrong, If it has to be pre-mixed I'll definetely be doing that, just wanted to here some opinions on the matter.

Also how long does it take to do it's job once it comes in contact with the water???

Thank's.....

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Several threads, long discussions & many opinions have been posted here in the recent past.

Manufacturers instructions say to pre-mix, then add to tank. If your mixing their product with a live animal, you can bet they've done the testing to know the best and safest way to apply their products (it's called C.Y.A. :D).

Some add directly to the tank others pre-mix (me for one) & some don't even use it and all say they see no detrimental side effects (key word being see).

Do what's best for the fish even if it is more work, it's best in the long run.

Rr Joe

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Dr Joe;1233738; said:
Several threads, long discussions & many opinions have been posted here in the recent past.

Manufacturers instructions say to pre-mix, then add to tank. If your mixing their product with a live animal, you can bet they've done the testing to know the best and safest way to apply their products (it's called C.Y.A. :D).

Some add directly to the tank others pre-mix (me for one) & some don't even use it and all say they see no detrimental side effects (key word being see).

Do what's best for the fish even if it is more work, it's best in the long run.

Rr Joe

Thank's Dr. Joe.
When you pre-mix, how long do you have to wait before you can add the water to your tank?

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I premix my water with Prime using two 35G trash cans. I have chloramines in my water, so I use twice the recommended amount of Prime.

I have an air stone in each trash can to mix the Prime thoroughly and improve the oxygen content of the water. After about two hours I pump the water into the tank.

I have to do this because when I was mixing the Prime and tap water in the tank, I would either kill off some of my weaker community fish (e.g., neons, guppies) or cause my African Cichlids to flash constantly after a water change.

There are people who believe the water companies should stop using chloramine (see www.chloramine.org). There are reports of water pipe breaks that dumped chloramine water into rivers; killing off some of the fish.

jojo_nature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
leicester .uk.
I mix my water conditioner with water in bucket's and put in tank straight away but i only have 3 tank's so it's not that much work, my brother has a lot of tank's including 2 x 200gl tank's so he empty's water out put's conditioner in tank then add's water with a hose pipe ,takes about an hour to fill and you have to get tempreture right and check it often.

tknjk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Texas
I have a 1 gallon jug I use to mix with water, and then add it into the current of the hose as I'm filling.

dexman1349

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
Denver, CO
I'll pre-mix mine.

I use a 5 gallon "Deep Rock" jug. I put the chemicals in first, then wedge the kitchen sink spray nozzle into the neck of the jug (it fits just right so that it'll spray without needing to be held). It will help add air to the water, plus mix up the water rather well before adding to the tank.

AMG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2007
NY
I premix my water with conditioners before adding it to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store