Mangrove Jack?

Leicharti188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
G'day all,

I just got a baby mangrove jack (2inches) and was wondering what the growth rate is for one of these babies.

As well as any experiences with keeping them? tankmates? etc

Cheers

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
They will become brackish water fish when they get larger.

You can keep 'em with barramundi or any large sturdy brackish water fish.

Have very nasty dentiture and can deliver a nasty bite.

Growth rate is kinda fast.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Kept in optimum conditions they average 22" long at 4 years old, they can reach up to 4 1/2 feet long , very close to max size in 15 years. They have been recorded as old as 18 years and will eat anything small enough but are not reported as aggressive

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
down yonder here in Fl. we call em Mangrove snapper or Mangos. they are a great eating fish and they are highly sought after.they are often caught by ME! Ive kept a few babies in salt tanks but never in fresh. They are defenetly preaditors and the world record is 17lbs.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
mmmmmm....... mangrove snapper. when it gets bigger it will need to be in all sw. how big is the tank it's in? if it out grows it you can eat him.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
From several sites the info I get is that even when large they tolerate brackish water well though the mid sized ones 1foot-3feet are most often caught in full salt, some of the largest ones are often caught well upstream in large rivers.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Leicharti188 said:
G'day all,

I just got a baby mangrove jack (2inches) and was wondering what the growth rate is for one of these babies.

As well as any experiences with keeping them? tankmates? etc

Cheers
The one he got is presumably L. argentimaculatus, which is one of the 3 species that can live entirely in freshwater. I have a 16" plus one in pure fresh, meanesst fish in the tank. They're found in African to Asia to Australia, not in North America, the ones in Florida are a different species, same genus.

They're good eating, and guppy's information on adult fish is very accurate. Often sold as red datnoids etc... they do not tolerate each other at all, very intelligent fish, definitely on my top monster keepers list

Leicharti188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
It currently in my new 6 x 2 x 2 (feet)

He's by himself at the moments with a few rocks in there and cannot stop swimming around. Most new fish i get tend to take a while to settle in, but baby Jack was swimming all over the place.

PS. I always thought they were agressive, or was that only to their own kind?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store