Channa Bleheri Question

Canadbis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
Calgary AB
I have these three cool Rainbow Snakeheads that I have shown off in the past, and for the last 4-5 days one of them has been holding its mouth kind of swelled up, sort of like a dominancy threat but it never goes down to normal, as I understand (if I understand correctly) they are a mouth brooder. This is the largest one in the tank and it hasn't been swimming much, just going to the surface lots for air. (more than normal) No other fish is bothering it other than the one it normally hangs out with. I have also noticed that the other two have been doing a lot more of the swell up and bump routine. Params are good and everything is clean. OH and the one with its mouth puffed up didnt eat yesterday, and hadn't been eating verymuch the few days before
Do you think it is holding??
Has anyone seen a rainbow holding before??

Help please

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
hmmm that sounds interesting. do you know for certain thats the male? If you havent noticed that they've paired up i doubt the male is holding

Canadbis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
Calgary AB
if its this fish, its the sp assam. I've noticed mine only eats pellets/flake food/fbw.. it doesn't touch feeders at all, not even the smallest guppy!

Oh no its not those It is definatly a rainbow, here is a pic., Ok maybe i understood wrong but I thought all Dwarf Channa were mouth brooders, OH and yes I would have to say they have paired up, There is a third one in there that isn't allowed to play, especially now. I thought I had seen it all with SH's but this is new

Channa Bleheri 3.JPG

matty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Odd sounding, but channa are odd fish. Sounds like you might have a pair though. How long ago did they pair up? Bleheri are definitely not mouthbrooders, so it might be that the male is just asserting his dominance with the flared throat.....

Canadbis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
Calgary AB
They paired up 3-4 monthes ago
The male has been like that non stop for the past few days. and when the dominancy fight was on he would at least relax when alone
mouth is open as well
and it seems to try to hide its head every once in a while, and i noticed it goes up for air twice as often as the others

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
Channa bleheri are bubble nesters. Not all dwarf's are mouth brooders..... Chances are the mouth thing is a sign of dominance twards the others, or mybe even you......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store