Sick EBJD please help

Jim_Staffs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
Stafford UK
after saying how good they were doing yesterday, i have just been out to feed the fish and found this little guy looking a bit sorry for itself, it is still eating so i hope treatable. here are a couple of photos, it looks to be quite hollow in the lower are. any help for treatment greatly appreciated

Jim

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
have you seen his poo lately? probably parasites... if he is still eating then there is still hope, hopefully we can figure it out, was he acting differently?

Jim_Staffs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
Stafford UK
no i have not seen his poo lately have been looking throughout the day but seen nothing yet, he is coming out and swimming about still and then goes and sits under some bogwood on the bottom of the tank for a while, i was thinking it looked like bloat

Jim

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
ehh, it could be but usually with bloat their bellies get bigger than that, that just kind of looks like his stomach is sunken in, what do you feed them? as far as i know ebjd aren't necessarily prone to bloat... in the mean time while we are trying to figure it out i would turn off the lights and add a bit of salt to the tank

Jim_Staffs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
Stafford UK
they get fed on a mix of tetra prima, hikari gold and frozen bloodworm

unfortunately i dont have any aquatic salt and my local shop is closed on a wednesday, i have added some clout to the tank thinking it was bloat but if it is paracites thats not going to do much good.

Jim

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I believe small EBJD are prone to parasites which is why so many people have had success when they add UV on their tank with them.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
not sure if you should have salt in at the same time as clout, but you dont have to buy specific "aquarium" salt just get regular old table salt its all sodium chloride, just have different caking agents, just look and see what the anti-caking agent is, as long as its not yellow prussiate then its fine to use in the tank, it wont harm the fish, i never buy salt from the fish store its just their way of charging more for it

Jim_Staffs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
Stafford UK
ah right i didnt know that thanks for the info Sarah what dose of salt shouldi put in? i may leave the clout in for the night and then do a large water change tomorrow and add salt, the fish are only small nd currently in a 35 gallon quarintine tank

Jim

cacichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
FL
Use Ice Cream Rock Salt. You can find it at publix practically for free lol

Aquarium salt is the same thing just 30 times more expensive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store