Are STs breeding in captivity now?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Bro, IMHO that is not an ST. The 2 main bars parted when they are reaching towards the stomach. STs runs pretty much parallel.
He did not say that his fish was an ST...It's like you have quoted and replied to his post but did not read it before doing so.

Aro_addict

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2011
Hawaii
i have to agree with all of you. i highly doubt someone is breeding them. Wherever these small ST/CTs are coming from, people are really stepping to the plate and buying them. I guess buying an st depends what the buyer think of how an st should look like

Luc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
He did not say that his fish was an ST...It's like you have quoted and replied to his post but did not read it before doing so.
Oops....

i have to agree with all of you. i highly doubt someone is breeding them. Wherever these small ST/CTs are coming from, people are really stepping to the plate and buying them. I guess buying an st depends what the buyer think of how an st should look like
Think so too.....so long as it looks like ST, behaves exactly like one......and that's it.
Unless dna analysis to proof it

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
have fun wasting your time ..you might as well try breeding the loch ness monster.
But I don't have loch ness monster in my fish tank! :O

The only thing that I am going to do is to change my aquarium setting. To make the ST to feel comfortable and have the urge to breed

Eg. Putting 2 ST in a very large planted aquarium, and do water changes with rain water

In the end, it doesn't really matter if they breed or not. I am just enjoying the process, and nothing more ^^

aaandyyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Cambs, UK
Amusing thread, and the personal slagging off is great!
Ok, can someone explain to me why an ST, if it swims a few miles (in very simplified terms), suddenly becomes a different species? I understand if it maybe cross breeds with an IT or gets stuck in a certain area where evolution is given an opportunity then there will of course be regional variations and that fish may well become a sub-species, perhaps something such as Datnioides pulcher sp. Cambodia? This is something predominant in the snakeheads Channidae, there are so many variations of the Channa gachua, as an example, but they are still all Channa gachua.
back to Datnioides, visually there is definitely a difference between CT, IT, NTT and AT and in many ways, behaviour differences. I suspect they are genuinely different species which have established themselves over countless generations. However, I see no reason why a number of ST's could not have:
been forced to find another area due to something like pollution in their particular stretch of river
relocated due to perhaps work on areas of the river
relocated due to drought
Decided they didn't like it where they were
I really don't know, I'm only guessing here but surely this could have happened? Surely in all that space there are a few love-struck couples of fish of the same origins?
Or could the CT/ST variations be due to ST/IT cross breeding. Or maybe too much in-breeding? Many of the 3 bar Indo's that we are seeing certainly have many of the looks of an IT but, in my experience, behaves nothing at all like an ST.
I really have no idea at all, but for myself I hadn't noticed my passport change to "Homo sapien sp. out of normal territory" when I go on holiday so wasn't sure why the rule applied to fish?
For what it's worth, I'd have some of those 3 bars if I found some here in UK.
I know, let's finalise this debate. Each and every one of us with a Datnioides species submit one of them to science to get a definitive set of taxonomic results.
Or maybe I'll just enjoy the fish I have which I buy because I like the look of them.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The term ST stands for Siamese Tiger so only the pulchers who were found in the waters of the country that is formally known as Siam are true ST.Now,in the case of the CT,they may or may not be pulchers but they are definitely not ST's if you want to get technical.

Luc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
I also heard, true STs have extinct...more than 20 years ago? Those STs we are seeing for the past 10 years may not be the true STs...but it is these "ST" in the most recent 5 years or 10 years that are attracting soooo much attention.....
Those already extinct may not be as nice? Who have seen them?
Whatever term we calls it.....

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
I've seen that before. Before iwent the Facultiy of Fisheries at Kasetsart University and spoke to a Proffessor who called the Scientific Research Lab and Bungborapetch in Nakornsawan to ask them directly what the staus was on the attempt at breeding ST at ascientific level. To which thereply was, "Limited."
I can find websites which claim Elvis lives, it doesn't mean it's true though.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
But I don't have loch ness monster in my fish tank! :O

The only thing that I am going to do is to change my aquarium setting. To make the ST to feel comfortable and have the urge to breed

Eg. Putting 2 ST in a very large planted aquarium, and do water changes with rain water

In the end, it doesn't really matter if they breed or not. I am just enjoying the process, and nothing more ^^
How will you sex them to make sure you have male and female?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store