K1 media

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I have been using k1 for 2 years now you need to put it in a bag or it gets everyeere in the sump

It also need to move to self clean

My sump is run full so no wet and dry its set up like a giant canister filter

It also floats so I just have 3 big air stones in my sump to move it all around and air the media more

My dump has eheim efimech on the bottom then eheim substrate pro then the k1 floating on the top this is all in the big main part of the sump

The 1st part of my sump were the water comes in has jap mat which is like the course pad in a canister filter
I can't stand filter socks

The next part of the sump has bio balls

The 1st and 2nd parts of the sump are both 30 long x 10 wide

I stir all the main part of the sump up once per month and turn the drip up full over night so about a 50% water change
The tank goes like soap and would scare most people but it's dupe clear the next morning I then wash the jap mats the next day just like you would a pre filter

Been running it like this and had no problems

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hi Richard
Sounds good, so i could just fill the chambers up with K1 or K3?
Any chance of a picture of your set up?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Hi Richard
Sounds good, so i could just fill the chambers up with K1 or K3?
Any chance of a picture of your set up?
Not much to see in my sump and it's dark I have been meaning to put a light in for ages

If I had to do it again I would use K3 as the k1 is small and gets out of the bag every now and then

I had good results with canister filters that's why I set mine up like one and as I have the over flow pipe for the drip if I get a power cut I have no problems of it over flowing with the water from the main tank

My sump is 24 tall and is filled to 18 inch

Like I said I stir up the whole sump once per month and it's shocking

My tank is always crystal this is what it looks like after a sump stir but it's super clear but many with the hma on full blast

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
jim i just ordered some k3 you can have all my k1 if you pay post i must have about 100lts

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
jim i just ordered some k3 you can have all my k1 if you pay post i must have about 100lts
Hey Richard that's really good of you !
I would appreciate that. Can i ask, is this the only media you have in your sump or do you run any sort of other filtration like wet/dry?
I am use to a wet/dry with a centre section for al***rog rock so i am struggling with the idea of just filling my sump with plastic!
Does the K1 pass through egg crate? It does look very small.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Here's a pic of the k3 chamber I made. You cant see the motion but its moving around real good.

The k1 will go through egg crate.

I also have ceramic rings and substrat pro after this chamber. I don't think it's totally necessary but I had it before so I just left it in.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1337435225.580200.jpg

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Hey Richard that's really good of you !
I would appreciate that. Can i ask, is this the only media you have in your sump or do you run any sort of other filtration like wet/dry?
I am use to a wet/dry with a centre section for al***rog rock so i am struggling with the idea of just filling my sump with plastic!
Does the K1 pass through egg crate? It does look very small.
i have jap mat in the 1st compartment this is like a pre filter
then the next comparment bio balls
then the main comparment has about 60 liters of eheim efimech and 60 liters of eheim substrate pro that came out of my old eheim pro 3s

no wet and dry as i said i run my sump full of water like a giant non presure canister filter

the k1 floats on the top in the main compartment in bags and is moved around buy 4 big air stones

the only problem is the k1 is small and a few get out of the pond filter bags every now and then and you hear click click click when it goes into a pomp and you get a chewed up bit of k1 shot out of the return pipe this is why im going to change to k3 as i wont need the bags and it will be to big to get into the pump section

indi1motorbike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
Nottinghamshire
i run k1 media in my sumps with no problem the hardest part is containing it due to its size, i have one section in my sump as the flow enters from above and on the bottom ive used hagen under gravel plates to stop it escaping and its works extremly well for me :)

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
i have jap mat in the 1st compartment this is like a pre filter
then the next comparment bio balls
then the main comparment has about 60 liters of eheim efimech and 60 liters of eheim substrate pro that came out of my old eheim pro 3s

no wet and dry as i said i run my sump full of water like a giant non presure canister filter

the k1 floats on the top in the main compartment in bags and is moved around buy 4 big air stones

the only problem is the k1 is small and a few get out of the pond filter bags every now and then and you hear click click click when it goes into a pomp and you get a chewed up bit of k1 shot out of the return pipe this is why im going to change to k3 as i wont need the bags and it will be to big to get into the pump section
Ok think i will go for the K3 as well. It looks much bigger and will be easier to contain in the sump. But thanks very much for the offer of the K1! Much appreciated.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i have someone who is going to take it i was just waiting for a yes or no from you

i paid £59 for 50 liters of k3 i will let you know if i have any left over as im not sure if i will need it all i will prob only use half so you can buy the other half if you want as you can only buy 50 liter bags

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store