Crazy Petsmart Experience

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
So I was at petsmart getting some food for my fish and I see a lady standing by the goldfish. I walk up to a tank and see what looks like an albino channel cat. I didn't know petsmart sold them so I asked if he is for sale. The lady says no he is for adoption and he is a pangiusis (spelt that wrong and pretty sure it's an irredescent shark) and anyways long story short I tried to explain to the lady that her "huge" 30 gallon tank along with the three baby Oscars is not suitable for a fish that will get larger than the tank. She went on and said her husband will buy her a new tank and that it will be fine. Meanwhile the petsmart lady is listening and saying how these things get really really big and she can't properly house it. So I said yeah they get huge and its gonna die along with your Oscars if you don't get a bigger tank and I walked away. As I was walking away I turned around and see the petsmart lady scooping out the 6" one eyed albino irredescent. I have never been more pissed off at petsmart. Why would she still give it to this woman? Oh and the woman proceeded to tell me how algae pellets for "da catfish that eats all da poop" is okay to feed to it. Omg she made me mad! I don't understand this at all.

-Andrew

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Don't take this the wrong way but I find it extremely funny and ironic you giving advice on tank stocking.

Regardless the employee is just doing her job. Sure its a crappy position to be in but if I was in her position I would have done it too. Its not worth losing your job over something so little. At a certain point you realize you can't educate everyone and not everyone wants to listen.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph

djlamonica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2012
SE Michigan
Hmm I had an opposite experience at a large chain store where a couple were about to have this 15 year old scoop out 6 peacock/haps for there sons 8 g with no light heater or filter. I talked them into some Danios after explaining that those things were needed to keep fish alive. Im sure there re many stories like this as well as horrible ones. Anyways it was nice to feel helpful even though I'm new myself.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Don't take this the wrong way but I find it extremely funny and ironic you giving advice on tank stocking.

Regardless the employee is just doing her job. Sure its a crappy position to be in but if I was in her position I would have done it too. Its not worth losing your job over something so little. At a certain point you realize you can't educate everyone and not everyone wants to listen.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph
Cool Avatar.

I agree. I just grin to myself when people are told that a fish will get huge and they say, "oh, thats cool, I have a huge 55g with only two oscars and a pleco, this Pacu will only get 18" max."
Lessons.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I always see cool fish that get big but would be okay in my 225 and turn them down. I wish i had balls like this to just purchase something that gets huge. but then I get scared haha

pdk2089

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2012
CA
People buy fish everyday that don't have the proper size aquarium to properly house the fish when it gets bigger. That doesn't mean petsmart is not going to sell it to them. All you can do if you see this is give them advice and move on....

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
You guys have to realize that businesses are only there for one reason-to make money. If they don't make money they can't exist...

And there are always gonna be those idiots whose mind you can't change, no matter how right you are or what you do or say...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store