Ordering Trimac's to breed question

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Should I order from 2 different vendors to make sure I don't have inbreeding of brother and sisters or no

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Sure. Just make sure the two vendors don't share the same source for Trimacs. Good luck!

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Breeding sibling fish doesn't matter.

I'd get them both from Rapps to ensure that 1) they're from the same population / location (trimacs have a wide distribution), 2) they're actually fish with provenance and 3) don't have lymph.

Matt

Should I order from 2 different vendors to make sure I don't have inbreeding of brother and sisters or no

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
According to CRC: http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?id=191
Type locality: Chiapam and Huamuchal, Guatemala.

Inhabited countries: Guatemala (native), Honduras (native), Mexico (native), El Salvador (native).

...so potentially every stream / body of water / watershed in which they're found could be "different" in ways that are visible to the eye or not.

Matt

How many different areas are the Trimac's from

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
It's much different than in humans. How many generations of inbreeding do you think go into producing, say, a new variety of fancy discus or angelfish? Lots.

Same with how many generations of inbreeding occurred to produce the unique populations of Gymnogeos, pikes, chanchitos, catfish, etc. in various ponds throughout Uruguay. How often is "new" blood from a neighboring stream or larger body of water introduced? Maybe once per decade (or more often now because of global warming ;) )...

The important thing is to not breed fish with deformities or other problems. They (likely) wouldn't survive in nature but they can do just great in aquariums.

You can introduce lots of genetic diversity by crossing two trimacs from different regions. Not sure that's what the best thing to do is, though!

Matt

Why? It matters in everything else. What about gene pool diversity?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
All those 'unique' populations you mention, tied to specific locales or bodies or water is surely not made of siblings and inbreeding. It is not as if the fish quantities ina given place match a" normal breeders collection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store