Filtration for Heavy BioLoad....

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Sorry for the confusion...... I needed a giant sarcasm smiley for that last post but couldn't find it.

I've ran moving beds for over a year now...... Saying they are rubbish couldn't be further from the truth, along with everything else in that post. ;)

My ideas aren't any better then anyone elses. I have ideas, build them, and contunually improve them. I gave up listening to advice offered here a long time ago. I really enjoy the filtration aspect of things, what I don't enjoy is people offering up advice with no foundation to back it.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Imagine that your fish tank is a toilet bowl and you are trying to clean up the mess with your filters. Whether you are using air driven box filters, sponge filters, undergravel filters, HOB power filters, bio wheels, canister filters, wet dry filters, sumps, socks, sand filters, etc., all you are doing is breaking the waste down. Until you flush the toilet (water change) the waste is still there. One has to realize that all types of filtration work. Some just work better than others. The secret to successful fishkeeping is to have a manageable fish load, not overfeed your fish, and flush the toilet on a regular basis. LOL!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Sorry for the confusion...... I needed a giant sarcasm smiley for that last post but couldn't find it.

I've ran moving beds for over a year now...... Saying they are rubbish couldn't be further from the truth, along with everything else in that post. ;)

My ideas aren't any better then anyone elses. I have ideas, build them, and contunually improve them. I gave up listening to advice offered here a long time ago. I really enjoy the filtration aspect of things, what I don't enjoy is people offering up advice with no foundation to back it.
its my opinion

and dont you think i knew you was taking the piss so was i

a sand filter IS moving bed but with sand

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
its my opinion

and dont you think i knew you was taking the piss so was i

a sand filter IS moving bed but with sand
So explain why you said they were rubish????

Sounds to me like you needed to redesign yours if you think it was rubbish.

Easier to just call it rubbish then fix a flawed a design?

They aren't the easiest thing to build. Just like a speaker box, never right the first time and require tuning/improving/rebuilding.

As far as the taking piss part........ Language barrier? lol

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
:ROFL:

This is what I've learned as of late from MFK.....

All Potomotrygon species are just "rays". The names given to them are nothing more then made up crap that drives the price up, some of the names are from other animals, and some were 80s bands, all the names are jokes.

UV lights are all the same. Why spend good money on lights that are overpriced? UVs don't need R&D'd and paying someone to design them is a waste of money. You don't get what you pay for you get ripped off if you're not buying them off Ebay.

All filters are the same. You don't need anything fancy at all. Socks like fluidized beds are rubbish and a waste of time and money. All you need is a pile of Jap mat and a sand filter. Rinse your Jap mat in tap water once a year and "you're golden ponyboy."

I'll tell you what's rubbish, trying to enjoy the hobby on this site these days.

And people wonder why it's so hard to get decent info these days...... Anymore it's nothing more then a game of who can contradict who faster in a public display leaving the people actually wanting to learn so dang confused they don't even want rays anymore. And I hope the people "giving advice" are achieving some sort of satisfaction by providing "technically correct" answers that are only right to them in thier situation with variables that are a mystery to the rest of us.
Gosh Alan- why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Reactions: Skynet159

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Here is my system:
1. 50 gallon K-1 reactor.
2.220 watts of U.V.
3.Plants,Plants and more plants- all submerged(out of the water with the roots in the water column). Therefore they are not CO-2 Limited and only nutrient limited- focus is to remove nitrates and prevent ammonia or nitrite spikes.
4.-300 gallon per day auto water change- water is run through 4 sediment blocks,9 carbon blocks and pumped into a storage tank, aerated,heated,prepped and put into the system 5 times per day.
5.Mechanical filtration- 2 systems with multiple layers of media to catch particulate matter.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
So explain why you said they were rubish????

Sounds to me like you needed to redesign yours if you think it was rubbish.

Easier to just call it rubbish then fix a flawed a design?

They aren't the easiest thing to build. Just like a speaker box, never right the first time and require tuning/improving/rebuilding.

As far as the taking piss part........ Language barrier? lol
no need to change mine a moving bed or sand filter are a stand alone unit and rubbish on there own

sand is 100 x better than that rubbish plastic media

how can you set a moving bed up different it moves so thats it its not rocket scince

try something for 6 months if its not up to par rip it out

i had a 30x12 section of movng bed running in a section of my sump and it wasnt worth the sump space i get far better results filling that section with jap mat

if moving bed works for you keep it but if its your only filteration you best hope you dont get a power cut as the good bacteria dies super fast if its not kept moving and well airated

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I really do not understand the point of this discussion between you two in such an interesting issue...:(

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I really do not understand the point of this discussion between you two in such an interesting issue...:(
No need to. Just erase everything I posted like I asked and everyone's happy. :)

Will not happen again......

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
LOL!! T1 is always Mr Cranky The bottom line fella's there are many many ways to filter and clean your water but if you don't follow the regiment it wont work for me you or anybody ..Best advice i can give for the op is research as much as possable !!!! and use the filtration that is most practacle for for yourself !!!!The more everything stays stable the happier your fish will be Bottom line!!!;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store