missing jaw

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
My jag had a bit of a tiff with one of my red belly piranhas. And now his entire bottom jaw is missing. There is just this meaty gaping hole in his face now. His entire bottom jaw is missing and a little bit of the top. I thought I was gonna have to euthanise him. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. He still had such a will to live. Continued to chase other fish away from his territory and kept all his confidence and bright colours. As days went by, he started eating again, without a jaw. With difficulty at first, but now dosnt seem to have a problem. He is eating tilpia and hake again, and even caught a cricket from the surface, out of my RBPs mouth. And my jag seems as though it has started to grow his jaw back? Is this possible?

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
This is why you put Piranahs in species only tanks...

On another note, I wouldnt think bone would grow back.

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Is it possible for fish to regenerate tissue yes, something like a whole jaw I wouldn't hold my breath. Just because a fish is aggresive doesn't mean it should be kept with a fish like a piranha. They really don't have the hardware to stand up to one that is prepared to use it's teeth. They're your fish and I'm not gonna hate so if the jag is eating and not looking stressed then I say you have one unique jaguar on your hands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Pics pics pics. I would move the jag? but have seen some cichlids that have had lock jaw and they have lived long happy lives( not with a piranah though)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Cichlids and piranha equal fail 110% of the time. Cichlids lip lock to fight.... Piranhas tear off the jaw. Move him if you don't want to see him tortured by piranhas anymore

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I have no other tanks to put him in though. and I have really grown fond of him. I also have a polleni, oscar, two pimelodi catfish, synodontis and 5 clown loaches with them. Had them all for about a year and half now. Everyone gets along no aggression. Except from this jag and this incident now. He is not stressed, eating as normal again and his normal self. I'm quite fond of the little guy and don't really wanna get rid of him. I highly doubt his jaw will grow back, but there seems to have been a lot of improvement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store