Best fish to breed and make money

Andy02793

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
CA
I switched to angels and malawi cichlids. Cause the main lfs I go to said he would pay me 2-3$ per 1"er for angels and 2$ per 1.5"er yellow lab and peacock cichlid.

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
There really aren't any.
Your best bet is to breed something that's easy to breed and is popular, but not so popular (like cons) that you can't sell them. There's probably not a lot of demand for expensive fish that grow to large sizes. Rays aren't in large demand because the average fish keeper doesn't want to buy expensive fish that they don't even have the room to house. You want something that's low maintenance and that is affordable for the average person. I think most ray breeders do it out of sheer love for rays and not to profit.
I'd ask your LFS what is their best selling fish and go from there.

Reactions: Easy5580

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
I switched to angels and malawi cichlids. Cause the main lfs I go to said he would pay me 2-3$ per 1"er for angels and 2$ per 1.5"er yellow lab and peacock cichlid.
This is probably the best suggestion. Easy to breed, affordable for consumers, and will always be in demand.

Reactions: Easy5580

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
If you think about it oscars would be a great fish for this plan. Ops friend could go buy about 30 baby oscars from all over and grow them out and slowly seperate them and then you can sell the leftover oscars and start a breeding project with whatever pairs he can get and put them in either small ponds or a couple over filtered 75s. Then you can raise all the fry in a 100+ gallon barebottom and grow them to about 2" and sell them all for $10 a piece. Oscars are surprisingly expensive if you think about it and they are high in demand in the aquarium hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
If you think about it oscars would be a great fish for this plan. Ops friend could go buy about 30 baby oscars from all over and grow them out and slowly seperate them and then you can sell the leftover oscars and start a breeding project with whatever pairs he can get and put them in either small ponds or a couple over filtered 75s. Then you can raise all the fry in a 100+ gallon barebottom and grow them to about 2" and sell them all for $10 a piece. Oscars are surprisingly expensive if you think about it and they are high in demand in the aquarium hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
sound pretty good to me......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store