small Leopard Ctenopoma diet?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
so, my buddy had this cten he didn't want anymore and was going to put him in his big pred tank to be eaten, he told me 30 ga minimum so I figure hell be a nice addition to my semi aggro 30 ga growout comm. He's only about 2 inches I would say, I know they are a type of perch and eat small fish but he's too small for that, for now he's eating tropical flake and brine shrimp. that good for health n growth? I have 0 experience with small ctens, got a large one at adult size a couple years back that's since been gone

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
so, my buddy had this cten he didn't want anymore and was going to put him in his big pred tank to be eaten, he told me 30 ga minimum so I figure hell be a nice addition to my semi aggro 30 ga growout comm. He's only about 2 inches I would say, I know they are a type of perch and eat small fish but he's too small for that, for now he's eating tropical flake and brine shrimp. that good for health n growth? I have 0 experience with ctens

Get him on a good sinking pellet. Its easy if hes on flake already

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hauntingurcoma

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
KILLEEN,TEXAS
mine is about 1.5" and eats flakes,pellets,blood worms,freeze dried shrimp,brine shrimp,krill and the occasional guppy.Little fish with a very big mouth and appetite.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
oh yeah I've been surprised at the size of brine shrimp chunks he can take down, I breed guppys for feeders so I can give em to him at the perfect size. I had my old one on a bunch of different stuff back in the day before I took a hiatus from fish keeping because my girlfriend moved in with me and we needed the space. live guppys, live worms, brine shrimp, tilapia, sinking carni pellets.. ill have to order some of the right sized sinking carnis for this guy, I can't find em anywhere locally at all anymore.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
nice ill have to try slicing up some real small for him

Should work out very well and give you an excellent growth rate that you are looking for.

I think that you should be seeing fantastic growth rate from your guppies, but they will very soon become large enough to require close to a dozen a day. Don't cut corners on quarantining them in the meantime!

Good luck, like most perch-like fish, they have tremendous appetites.

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
I have two at 5" and 6" they are very cool fish imo. Mine stopped talking flakes at about 3" and would only eat shrimp bloodworm and floating pellets. I also feed crickets they go mad for them.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Should work out very well and give you an excellent growth rate that you are looking for.

I think that you should be seeing fantastic growth rate from your guppies, but they will very soon become large enough to require close to a dozen a day. Don't cut corners on quarantining them in the meantime!

Good luck, like most perch-like fish, they have tremendous appetites.
thank you haha I breed the guppies so I know they are disease free and raised on a healthy diet, I deal with a tremendous appetite from my red wolf fish haha this guy can't be worse then he is, he should be a great addition

I have two at 5" and 6" they are very cool fish imo. Mine stopped talking flakes at about 3" and would only eat shrimp bloodworm and floating pellets. I also feed crickets they go mad for them.
ill have to try crickets once its mouth is big enough, or very small crickets. My LFS has one that's larger at like 3.5 inches and id like to pick him up but I didn't know how well they do together, are they good w/ their own specie? especially with a size difference like that, for sure wouldn't be able to eat him

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
My two are fine together. They are side by side most of the time. They do square up to each other as if they want to fight sometimes but never actually fight. It's good to see how much they love something live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store