How often do you guys wash filters?

weichen14

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2013
NYC
I have a 125 gallon with an Ac 110 and rena xp4. I want to know how often do you guys wash your filters? Is there optimum time to wash? I wash mine once month bc I like clean filters.

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
With my AquaClears, I clean about every 3 weeks I peek in every week and when it looks a bit dirty, I clean. My canister (Fx5) I clean about every 3 months - could probably go a bit longer as the sponges are never really that dirty, but I shoot for 3 months just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
hobs every two three months, canisters about once a year or when the flow is low

sincebeen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Michigan
The answer depends on one thing ---> how long before they get too dirty, which depends on how much waste your system is producing. So it's different for everyone.

The Ac 110 is easy to judge. Look at the outbound flow when it's clean for reference. When the flow becomes visually constricted, it's clogged and time to clean the mechanical filter. As far as the bio-media, clean it almost never.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
When I ran HOB I would rinse cartrifges when they clogged. Replace if they clogge too quick. Cannisters I clean once or twice a year. I don't use any polishing pads or other stuff that clogs. I have an FX5 & 2 Eheim 2262. The rest are sumps.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Cleaning it too often will kill all the good bacteria. I do all my canisters once a year using aquarium water

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
I know some of you guys may think....I've been doing fishkeeping for years so I cant be wrong but not cleaning a canister for more than three months is a big risky mistake.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^ i havent had the need for canisters yet but i have heard if they arent regularly maintained they can go anaerobic? thats just what i read on here one time though

it depends for me, ill wipe out my aquaclear motors once a week to make sure no sand or detritus buildup will stop em from spinning. Sponges get a good squeeze n rinse once a month, and on a seperate week ill dip the whole casing of the filter into the WC water (the old water lol) to get all the loose detritus out of the bottoms. i never scrub them clean. i do them at different times to lessen the chance of damaging BB colonies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store