Catalina biotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Well?? anything, or did he not hear what he wanted to and leave? We are just trying help. I think its a great idea, but you just need to tae baby steps.
I have been in England so there aren't any updates. I enjoy everything I hear. Even if it's not the direction I want to go. I take all advice into consideration. I will be taking small steps.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
For a general update. I mailed 2 reef keepers with dissolved oxygen probes, salinity probes, PH probes and internet card to the grounds keeper. When I get a chance I will call him up and tell him how he should set it up. I am also organizing a fishing competition to determine what fish are present in the pond. Determining the type of environment and the organisms which inhabit the pond are my first steps into creating a new species of sharks. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/eve/4332521382.html

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
As for my biology background I graduated cum laude from Berkley with a dual degree. They are in environmental engineering and biochemistry. My only background in business is what I have seen in my family. My dad is a property investor and manager. The key is not to let the attractions die.
interesting. In that case can you tell me why lipids around the liver in elasmobranchs can cause health issues?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
It will be an exclusive dive site. If you look at the first picture of the pond you can see my house. It will be a all inclusive weekend deal. Some guy just paid over 300,000 dollars to shot a rhino. I am sure I can get enough money to fund my project by running dive and fishing excursions to see and catch species of fish only found in my lagoon. If I open it to to many people it will loose it luster. Diving will only be done if the person is certified. They can use one tank, to tanks, re breather, nitrous, wetsuit, dry suit what ever they want, as long as they don't die it's OK with me. People can still fish and snorkel.

By 'public' I meant anyone other than yourself. There are lots of legal and safey hoops to jump through. It's not as easy as just starting to charge money as people gear up to jump in. Take it from somone who has set up and run many public dive operations in enclosed areas with fish/sharks.

You're still talking Super Bowl, and you haven't made the high school junior varsity team yet.

You need to get the lagoon set up for life first. Then make sure you have the experineced staff to manage the life in the lagoon. Work on collection permits. Get your animals in and established. Get a goal: fishing and diving in this won't mix. You need one or the other, and I'd pick diving/snorkling if you want to turn this into a business.

I'd start seriously researching the other set ups like this that are already out there. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. You have two major things going on: managing a healthy enclosed marine lagoon and managing a commercial (meaning money making) dive operation.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Something else to consider: This is thecut/pasted list of restricted fish species you need a permit to keep.

CALIFORNIA:

Prohibited fish species -- illegal to import, transport, or possess live specimens w/o a permit

(4) Class Agnatha - Jawless Fishes

(A) Family Petromyzontidae - Lampreys All nonnative species (D).

(5) Class Osteichthyes - Bony Fishes

(A) Family Percichthyidae - Temperate Basses

1. The species Morone americana (White perch) (D).

2. The species Morone chrysops (White bass) (D).

(B ) Family Clupeidae - Herrings Dorosoma cepedianum (Gizzard shad) (D).

(C ) Family Sciaenidae - Drums Aplodinotus grunniens (freshwater drum) (D).

(D) Family Characidae - Characins

1. Astyanax fasciatus (Banded tetra) (D).

2. All species of the genera Serrasalmus, Serrasalmo, Pygocentrus, Taddyella, Rooseveltiella, and Pygopristis (Piranhas) (D).

3. Hoplias malabaricus (Wolf fish) (D).

(E) Family Salmonidae - Trouts Salmo salar (Atlantic salmon) - Restricted in the Smith River watershed (D).

(F) Family Lepisosteidae - Gars All species (D).

(G) Family Amiidae - Bowfins All species (D).

(H) Family Poeciliidae - Livebearers Belonesox belizanus (Pike killifish) (D).

(I) Family Channidae - Snakeheads All species (D).

(J) Family Cyprinidae - Carps and Minnows

1. Leuciscus idus (ide) (D).

2. Ctenopharyngodon idellus (Grass carp) (D), except that permits may be issued to a person, organization or agency for possession of triploid grass carp, under conditions set forth in Section 238.6.

3. Hypophthalmichthys molitrix (Silver carp) (D).

4. Aristichthys nobilis (Bighead carp) (D).

(K) Family Trichomycteridae (Pygidiidae) - Parasitic Catfishes. All species (D).

(L) Family Cetopsidae - Whalelike Catfishes. All species (D).

(M) Family Clariidae - Labyrinth Catfishes All species of the genera Clarias, Dinotopterus, and Heterobranchus (D).

(N) Family Heteropneustidae (Saccobranchidae) - Airsac Catfishes All species (D).

(O) Family Cichlidae - Cichlids

1. Tilapia sparrmani (Banded Tilapia) (D).

2. Tilapia zilli (Redbelly tilapia) (D), except permits may be issued to a person or agency for importation, transportation, or possession in the counties of San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, and Imperial.

3. Tilapia aurea (Blue tilapia) (D).

4. Tilapia nilotica (Nile tilapia) (D).

(P) Family Anguillidae - Freshwater Eels. All species of genus Anguilla (D).

(Q) Family Esocidae - Pikes all species (D).

(R ) Family Percidae - Perches

1. Perca flavescens (Yellow perch) (D).

2. Stizostedion vitreum (Walleye) (D).

(S) Family Catostomidae - Suckers All members of the genus Ictiobus (Buffalos) (D).

(T) Family Cyprinodontidae - Killifishes Cyprinodon variegatus (Sheepshead minnow) (D).

(6) Class Elasmobranchiomorphi - Cartilaginous Fishes

(A) Family Carcharhinidae - Requiem Sharks All species of genus Carcharhinus (D).

(B ) Family Potamotrygonidae - River stingrays All species (D).

Source: California Code of Regulations, title 14, section 671. These regulations are promulgated by the California Fish and Game Commission pursuant to statutory authority set forth in the California Fish and Game Code. (There's a statutory list too, but the one from the regulations is more complete. The statutes only contain the original list, whereas the regulations also include all species added by the Commission.)

You can also see the entire list of prohibited animals for California at the following link:

Restricted Animals Of California

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
interesting. In that case can you tell me why lipids around the liver in elasmobranchs can cause health issues?
I never learned about sharks in particular so maybe someone else can help you out. Biology classes are now all microbiology, biochemistry and human genetics. I thing sharks need lipids around there liver. If they didn't have it will cause buoyancy issues. Is there a specific problem you are having?

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
By 'public' I meant anyone other than yourself. There are lots of legal and safey hoops to jump through. It's not as easy as just starting to charge money as people gear up to jump in. Take it from somone who has set up and run many public dive operations in enclosed areas with fish/sharks. You're still talking Super Bowl, and you haven't made the high school junior varsity team yet. You need to get the lagoon set up for life first. Then make sure you have the experineced staff to manage the life in the lagoon. Work on collection permits. Get your animals in and established. Get a goal: fishing and diving in this won't mix. You need one or the other, and I'd pick diving/snorkling if you want to turn this into a business. I'd start seriously researching the other set ups like this that are already out there. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. You have two major things going on: managing a healthy enclosed marine lagoon and managing a commercial (meaning money making) dive operation.
Will I need dive insurance if I make sure everyone has DAN?

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
I am hoping not to need a large staff. I want to keep my operation small and keep it as natural and self sustaining as possible.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Zoodiver the list you gave does that include fish that are already in my pond. Ones that got there naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store