Quitting The Hobby :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
I understand what you are going thru. My 180 got a crack in it that started leaking 3 weeks ago. Saved the fish and bought a 90g tank to save what I could. The fish got ich really bad and most never recovered. I lost 8 of my fish (some were large clown loaches even). I'm still very upset about my problem but I am pushing forward anyway. I've shed so many tears in the past 3 weeks.

I'm doing all I can and have a new path forward to get me excited about fishkeeping all over again. Getting some brand new young festaes and selecting a slightly different stock than what I had previously.

Hang in there and you will solve your cloudy water issue and you will be head over heels for it all over again.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
You can't give up man! When my favorite fish (an angelfish) died in January I almost got out of the hobby, he was extraordinarily personable and friendly and I really had a bond with him, just gotta keep tanking through and eventually things will go your way.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Hello; First thing to come to grips with is that all of your pets are going to die. I have had fish for over 50 years. After some time they pass away. I have a few alive now that were purchased over eight years ago. Several of their tank mates purchased at the same time are gone. It is a part of the hobby.

Another thing is that I have had periods of waxing and waning interest. My general solution is to not go too extreme when my interest is particularly keen. I have come to keep things at a level at which regular maintence is not too demanding. This, in large part, is accomplished by having comparatively low density stocking of any tank. This way I can have a more relaxed water change and cleaning schedule.

I have read posts of folks having very frequent and massive water change schedules. This sort of schedule becomes wearing over time. With low density stocking and lighter feeding I can stretch out some of the regular maintence.

I have also had periods when my work was too demanding and have reduced my active tanks down to one for long stretches, in some cases years. I was able to keep the empty tanks and equipment in storage and have set them up at a later time. I currently have three tanks sitting empty that I hope to someday set back up.

I went too big to maintain a level over time at one point in my fish keeping and learned from it. This may be somewhat normal is the fish keeping experience of many.

That being said, I do sense something more in your post. The lost of a pet guinea pig should not cause such an intense reaction as to break a person or make you feel that you are losing your mind. Loss of a pet is sad for sure. I have lost dogs and other pets that made me very sad but not to the extreme you indicate. That this loss appears to have led to the neglect of the other pets under your care, seems a concern. If losing pets affects you so strongly, perhaps it is best that you consider avoiding the situation. It may be in your best interest to give up having pets for a time.

Good luck
+1 Sage advice. Thoughts are with you OP

Eatsomekiwis

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
After reading all your post here and over on cca you are a terrible fish keeper who honestly doesn't seem to care about his fish, all you do s whine about your trouble rather than try to prevent or fix them. These animals would be a lot better without you. You should quit the hobby for the fish' sake...

BMBigfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Clarksville, Tennessee
When i first started my tank i had 2 turtles, a redtail, a large pleco and an eel, i had a floating island for the turtles to sun bathe but didnt have anything else, not even gravel because it was just to much of a hassle to clean and do water changs with the amoutn of turtle waste so even after water changes the tank was still cloudy and it was drving my fiance and i CRAZY! So i called up a company to inquire a bigger filter and i talked with the guy and he told me that the fact that there is no gravel or "decorations" in the tank the healthy bacteria that is always there had nothing to stick to so it just floated around. I don't know how you have your tank set up but if you dont have an gravel and such in there that could be the reason why its cloudy. Your best option if its still cloudy after the water change is to maybe put some rocks or drift wood in it and condition the water to see if that helps and see how that is with your redtail. They are gorgeous fish and very hardy too it would be sad to hear about you losing it. I hope this helps and you are able to eventually get out of your funk and start up your tank again. Good luck.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
If you are thinking about quitting the hobby, I would suggest you not pursue the WTB Silver Aro thread.

Honestly, if fish were your passion in life, you wouldn't even consider quitting. Perhaps it is more of a fad for you?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I didn't read anything but the original post but I know how you feel man. I went through the same thing earlier this year. I lost my 3 most prized fish, goonch cats, all at once. Still have no clue what happened cuz everything else was doing fine. Then I lost majority of my other prized fish including another goonch cuz I didn't qt a new fish and it brought a disease in from the wild that killed everything in just 2 days! $1000 worth of fish gone! Then my gf and I broke up after dating for a year and then all this stress from school. I honestly wanted to just quit the hobby and stick with my reptiles. I even sold off majority of my large bichirs, 2 armatus and aba aba knife. Then I realized that **** happens that's out of out control and you can't change the past. Good thing I still had some fish cuz I love the hobby too much. 1 day I will start keeping the big guys again. Just hang in there and things will get better. Plus sitting there watching reptiles is nowhere as interesting as watching fish unless it's feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
If you are thinking about quitting the hobby, I would suggest you not pursue the WTB Silver Aro thread.

Honestly, if fish were your passion in life, you wouldn't even consider quitting. Perhaps it is more of a fad for you?
+1 I see this all the time, it's fads for people. I doubt it's his true passion in life, it might be in regards to him not discovering his true passion yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store