A rant

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Over the years test strips have become available that are accurate enough for our purpose.
Fischer Scientific has a group of test strips I became familiar with in the lab for everything from alkalinity to nitrate and between.
Many strips out there may be produced with varying degrees of accuracy, (and by the same company) but since Fischer Sci was considered accurate enough for drinking water testing, and approved by the agencies I reported to, I still like to use them.
Ah, you've been holding out on us!
can you post a link to site where the right ones can be purchased? I'm real sure I would test more often with the simplicity of strips instead of drops in those dang little water tubes.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
There should be nothing less controversial in freshwater fishkeeping than the importance of regular partial water changes.

I have a heavily stocked 180 of South American acaras, eartheaters, etc. I do at least one 30-40% water change on it per week. Sometimes two or three, depending on my schedule (and whether it coincides with the bathing schedules of my wife and kids). I could literally never do too many water changes on the tank, although the law of diminishing returns would kick in.

I also clean the mechanical filtration, at least every couple of weeks. It's filtered by an FX5 that sends water to a dump filter (full of fluff, Poret foam and bioballs and other random plastic stuff), so I remove and replace the fluff in the dump filter and rinse the gunk out of the FX5 sponges. Doing water changes with crap-dirty filters makes no sense to me...

Matt

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
IMO it's all about how you stock. More stock=more water changes. Under stocked tanks require a lot less work. You have to regularly check your water params to be sure. Fish are no different than any other animal so provide the best environment for them. I tend to keep mine longer than most it seems, so I am pretty picky about conditions.
My biggest rant would be tank size for active fish. For example schooling fish that are 6" TL should have a 6' tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
There should be nothing less controversial in freshwater fishkeeping than the importance of regular partial water changes.
By controversial, I'm talking about how often, how much, techniques, filter cleaning, etc.. Everyone seems to have their own way, that to some is the ONLY way, to do wc's.

(Matt, the rest of this post is not directed towards you. Just the first portion)

Offering advice and constructive criticism is the most noble and effective way to help someone. Calling someone ignorant, uneducated, etc. is very rude and quite offensive. Instead of bashing people, help to educate them. Post links to pages that explain why the water parameter is so important, offer personal experiences and what helped you most, tips regarding their issue, etc.

It's just embarrassing that there is so many people that are so quick to judge, call people names and insult others. It's sad really.

If such things irritate you so badly then move on and don't read or respond to the "newbie". Let someone that just wants to help and has more patience give the advice.

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I'm too claustrophobic myself to ever enjoy keeping a real highly stocked tank of my own.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ah, you've been holding out on us!
can you post a link to site where the right ones can be purchased? I'm real sure I would test more often with the simplicity of strips instead of drops in those dang little water tubes.
I agree!! Where can you get these, or other reliable test strips? I would definitely test more if I had reliable strips. Anyone know any other good brands of test strips?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
as far as I know, test strips are not very accurate, great for a hot tub or pool, but not when dealing with live fish. 2 to 20 ppm can make a difference.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
as far as I know, test strips are not very accurate, great for a hot tub or pool, but not when dealing with live fish. 2 to 20 ppm can make a difference.
The other poster mentioned test strips used for drinking water that are quite accurate. I was just wondering where to buy them, or if there are any other accurate test strip brands for aquariums.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
got it:), I have no trust in any test strips for a fish tank. big fan of API master fresh water test kit. no need to test every week, just test to find out what your water changes need to be, then test from time to time to make sure nothing has changed. like growing fish, new fish added, feeding habits changed, wither more food, or a change in brand or what you feed. and maintenance on your canister filters less they dirty and you running a nitrogen bomb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store