Water changes for 90 gallon Oscar

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I got plenty of good food while growing up, loads of open space and fresh air on the farm yet I'm only 6'1", how come I'm not 7'+ and cleaning up in the NBA (aside from my terrible co-ordination)?
Lol wat?! Apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Another SA species (7 1/4 lbs) that is also suffering horribly from the conditions in the S. Florida canals. lol

In their natural habitat, most SA species have to contend with a very hot, dry season, and a very wet, and much cooler, rainy season. It is in the latter that they travel into the shallow floodplains of the Amazon and breed. I don't know what the exact temp fluctuations are, but they would be very similar overall to what a CA species such as Amphilophus would experience in its native habitat.

There are MILLIONS of oscars, peacock bass, etc caught each year in Florida lakes, ponds, canals, and the Everglades. These SA species have apparently adapted quite well.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
something about that pic looks fishy.

Darth Nandopsis

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
Coruscant
IGFA world record Oscar 3.8 lbs.

That video shows a fish that does appear to be 16", based on 2' width of tank.

That's a 75 gallon tank, 18" wide. Aquarium light fixtures are 4 & 1/4" wide @ the base. 16" fish do exist....they are not common @ all, but they do exist.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No offense meant Darth, but I'm with David, 16" oscars might as well be 16" unicorns, I have yet to see one that size in captivity.
And I have still yet to see one that size in captivity. Tape measure or it didn't happen. :) If I had a nickel every time someone overestimated the size of their fish online, I'd be a rich man. Or at least have a truck load of nickels.

Either way who gives a crap? lol The chances of the OP's oscar reaching 16"+ is slim to none, as it is for most oscars kept in captivity. Maybe 1 out of 1,000 hits 16", maybe. What's your point? When responding to questions such as the OP's we should consider the average sizes, and average values, not base our response on an extreme specimen that the vast majority of hobbysist have never, and most likely will never, see in their lifetime.

Pops, that Pbass pic is like many fisherman photos, the fish is being held out at arms length, and in this case by an 11 yr old kid. That's why I included the weight, it was 7 1/4 lbs. It's a big honking fish no matter how you view it.

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
Another SA species (7 1/4 lbs) that is also suffering horribly from the conditions in the S. Florida canals. lol

In their natural habitat, most SA species have to contend with a very hot, dry season, and a very wet, and much cooler, rainy season. It is in the latter that they travel into the shallow floodplains of the Amazon and breed. I don't know what the exact temp fluctuations are, but they would be very similar overall to what a CA species such as Amphilophus would experience in its native habitat.

There are MILLIONS of oscars, peacock bass, etc caught each year in Florida lakes, ponds, canals, and the Everglades. These SA species have apparently adapted quite well.
That is a nice one, but a little short of the 25lb monsters they catch down there.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Rob, perhaps you missed this?

Butterfly Peacock: Cichla ocellaris

State record is 9.08 pounds, but fish up to 12 pounds have been caught; current IGFA all-tackle world record is 12.6 pounds (caught in Venezuela); 13 of the 16 current IGFA world records caught from Florida waters

I believe that there are currently 15 species that have been described withn the Cichla genus, with some believing there will be more to come in the future. FYI - they don't all reach the same size in the wild. :)

The species that I linked to averages 5-7 lbs in the wild, and maxes out at 12 pounds. (IGFA record)

I think that we have now taken this topic within a topic as far as it will go. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store