getting rid of snails

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks guys i'll either leave them be or when i have some space get the clowns. My son loves em anyway

Pelli7358

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2015
I would recommend yoyo's. They rarely exceed 6 inches and mine destroy snails.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My favorite snail control fish are the cichlids of the genus Paretroplus from Madagascar. I had a tank that would be so think with Malaysian snails that when the lights would first go on, you couldn't see the fish. I put a couple Paretroplus in, and within 24hours, you couldn't find a snail. These cichlids main food source in Madagascar are snails, and they are equip with special teeth that extract snail flesh from any too big to crush.

above Paretroplus maculatus, below P menerambo.

Beyond snail control, they are some my favorite cichlids, and have personality to rival any Central American. P. menerambo get quite large, over 14", maculatus a tad smaller, and are slow growers.

Reactions: HumanBean

Ronin warrior

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2015
loaches are great way to help clear out the snails. Not sure if you can put puffers in your tank, maybe pea puffers? I know puffers love snails too.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Thanks guys i'll either leave them be or when i have some space get the clowns. My son loves em anyway
Unless the tank is currently very stocked I wouldn't worry about it. Clowns grow slow as sin and can be sold readily.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Ooohh puffer would be cool the tank is pretty much maxed out with two little bichirs (grow out) and a raph call and L200 (hate this thing)

Its my sons tank so as long as hes ok with rehoming some fish i'll let him choose between the puffer or loaches.

How would a pea puffer do with the polys ?

Ronin warrior

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2015
not good lolz, the polys gonna eat them because they're so small. But I know them pea puffer would love them snails for sure tho.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The polys are pretty small too. But your right would eventually be a snack. Gonna read up on tbe puffers maybe another option other than pea puffers...thanks for the suggestion man

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
When I had an Aro, I tend to feed it a lot. As a result my snail inhabitants (rams horn?) started to grow significantly. Once I started feeding less, I've noticed the snail population has decreased by about at least 75%. They're still around (and I don't mind that), but not overtaking the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store