Pleuro's in groups - fact or myth?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Hi everyone, I know they are fairly rare but I'm curious if anyone's actually keeping/has kept pleuros successfully as a group long term or if it's more a myth then fact.

I have only owned mine for a few months now and at 6" I'm already seeing fighting. I'm not sure I'm convinced that they actually do well in groups as adults and that it isn't just juvenile behavior like with many other channa who do fine together when young.

I know in the past diplos and micros were also said to do well in groups and people have since learned that this is a myth and as they mature they turn on each other. I'm curious if the is the same for pleuros?

So that leads be back to my question. I'd like to hear what others experiences have been.

Specifically I'd like to know-

1) how many are you/were you keeping together.
2) what size and how old are they/were they.
3)what was the gender ratio
&
4)do you still have them & if not you what happened to them.

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
I've had 2 small groups in the past, a 3 and a 5, neither ended in success. Both ended up as a two(can't confirm an actual pair) after about 8 inches. Unfortunately neither group got much past that size, through unnoticed heater malfunction and the other two went when I had to close my tanks down. They really seemed to enjoy being together as juveniles, but still had plenty of dominance/territorial fights. I feel that they act a lot like micros, but with less of an appetite.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
That seems to be the trend that I'm hearing elsewhere as well . Thanks for your input!

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
I had 3...2 males and 1 female. Got along great until around 9 inches. Then the alpha and beta males starting fighting like crazy one night. Ended up trading away the other male...

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I think best case scenario you end up with a pair. Worst case is you end up with one. I've yet to see long term comm tanks with a group of adult pleuros.

diPLoGraMMa

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2011
ENGLAND PLC
Several people myself included where keeping adult groups about 5 years ago or so . Forget it in anything less than a 8x30 othwise aggression will cause failiure. . Mine and I belive the others that did it had lots of flow( 4 12000l wave makes at one end plus 4 eheim 2060s) . No furniture apart from a vallis planted bottom . I had one pair that would seperate off from the group and look as if they would start to mate but never went further than that . I sold the adults at around 18" in the end due to frustration of not getting any further . I belive the others went the same way

Reactions: -DC-

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Thanks everyone got the input !
Keep it coming !

General feedback I'm getting from most sources is that it doesn't work , thanks diplo for a different point of view ! I knew space would be required for sure , the increase flow and bare layout surprises me though . Although they are little torpedoes and I'm sure they could handle it . Since I've heard of almost no other success stories I'm thinking your setup and perhaps the high flow rate really was key to the success you had . So thanks for sharing!

diPLoGraMMa

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2011
ENGLAND PLC
Thanks everyone got the input !
Keep it coming !

General feedback I'm getting from most sources is that it doesn't work , thanks diplo for a different point of view ! I knew space would be required for sure , the increase flow and bare layout surprises me though . Although they are little torpedoes and I'm sure they could handle it . Since I've heard of almost no other success stories I'm thinking your setup and perhaps the high flow rate really was key to the success you had . So thanks for sharing!
I found that after 13" they appeared to calm right down . In nature they inhabbit the flowing part of the river and are often found in groups . At breeding time the pair is said to pair off from the group and go into a shallow area where they breed and raise young before returning to the main part of the river . In a aquarium this is near impossable to recreate . I got what appeared to be a pair show breeding behavior . Athough they did not wrap as seen in others of the genus they appeared to half arse it in a twist type manoeuvre more rubbing each other than wrapping . I think if I had a spare aquarium at that point I could of turned off the flow and removed the other fish . I may of had more luck but then that could.also be wishfull thinking.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
i started with 10 specimens at 2-2.5"

they stayed in the group till they reached 4-5", but after this i saw one runt was chosen and beaten on by every body. eventually this one would go into hiding, then the next runt is chosen to be beaten on.

this continued till there were 3 that were getting beat upon, then one died due to starvation as the others wouldnt let it come out at all.

i started removing the ones getting beaten up, after i removed the three that were hiding more were chosen eventually, and now i am left with 2, they do look like a pair, they have been together for the past 4 months and no issues yet other than a few spats where the female which is at least 2" smaller than the 8-9" male, beats the male up.

but pleuros living in groups, i just dont believe it anymore

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
I have a group of 6. Got them at 5cm. Now, 1.5 years later, they are around 35cm and still together.
They do fine, although they do ***** a bit at eachother. I have many plants, which gives them all sort of their one space when needed.
An honest addition: im not sure if it will continue to go well in the future. As the *****ing only started recently, im not sure how it will evolve. But thus far, not a single problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store