Some nice Florida drum!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I just don't like bow fishing for Gar
hook and line is great for the bigger ones. light saltwater/heavy fresh tackle on the banks of the St. John's river in FL yields a crazy variety of fish and catching Gars, Stingrays, Largemouths and channel cats all in the same spot felt weird the 1st time. I was shocked there were stingrays that far upriver, probably 200+ miles from the mouth. I heard Gar tastes really delicious

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I hope the bowfishing won't goes away because it's a necessary to managing the roughfish populations. Its not uncommon for anglers to dump piles of their least favorite fish in ditch or on ice. Most bowfishermen I met always took their catch home, unlike few anglers I know. I caught an angler dumping 20 smaller northern pikes and countless rock bass in my property one time last summer. You will always have bad apples in anglers or bowfishermen that didn't respect ethics.
Good that you keep your fish to eat but I still don't understand why DNRs don't either legalize the shooting of all non-threatened species or completely illegalize bowfishing. If you can shoot Buffalo, you should be able to shoot Bass as well. If you can't shoot Bass, then you shouldn't be allowed to shoot Buffalo. Largemouth are just as prolific as Bigmouth Buffalo so I suppose they also need "management" for their populations to thrive.

Would you please elaborate on how it is necessary for humans to manage native roughfish populations through shooting an arrow through their backs, but not game fish? Roughfish, by the way, being a term made up by the average game fisherman who only pursues walleye and bass to define the countless other species representing a diverse array of families and genera such as Gars, Catfish, Suckers, Sturgeon, and countless other species that all require very different management strategies to ensure a healthy population?

It is simply appalling to see that so many fishermen today are still gamefish supremacists who think that Walleye are any more valuable than Silver Redhorse. Heck, even if we are to rank the value of species based on the fight and palatabilty, then Buffalo and Drum should be so much more pursued than the Walleye with its disappointing fight and Black Bass with its poor taste.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
hook and line is great for the bigger ones. light saltwater/heavy fresh tackle on the banks of the St. John's river in FL yields a crazy variety of fish and catching Gars, Stingrays, Largemouths and channel cats all in the same spot felt weird the 1st time. I was shocked there were stingrays that far upriver, probably 200+ miles from the mouth. I heard Gar tastes really delicious
What species of Gar are you catching down there? I heard there's supposed to be Shortnose in certain places which would be an awesome catch!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
What species of Gar are you catching down there? I heard there's supposed to be Shortnose in certain places which would be an awesome catch!
I'm still not positive 10 years later, but I have narrowed it down to a native FL species that grows over 36". You got a candidate in mind?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
honestly, forget the gar, the size of the Plecos down there would make your head spin. We snorkeled and swam in the springs the manatees use for the winter, where the water comes out 72F all 12 months/365 days....Don't ever let anyone tell you Plecos can't grow over 3 feet. I swear I swam with some that had to be close to 4'.

They hate 'em down there cuz they aggravate the manatees, but it was still cool to see them that big in person. Might not have been 4 feet, but damn there were some big ones....they took up the whole spring in some spots....so many of them breeding "naturally"

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Good that you keep your fish to eat but I still don't understand why DNRs don't either legalize the shooting of all non-threatened species or completely illegalize bowfishing. If you can shoot Buffalo, you should be able to shoot Bass as well. If you can't shoot Bass, then you shouldn't be allowed to shoot Buffalo. Largemouth are just as prolific as Bigmouth Buffalo so I suppose they also need "management" for their populations to thrive.

Would you please elaborate on how it is necessary for humans to manage native roughfish populations through shooting an arrow through their backs, but not game fish? Roughfish, by the way, being a term made up by the average game fisherman who only pursues walleye and bass to define the countless other species representing a diverse array of families and genera such as Gars, Catfish, Suckers, Sturgeon, and countless other species that all require very different management strategies to ensure a healthy population?

It is simply appalling to see that so many fishermen today are still gamefish supremacists who think that Walleye are any more valuable than Silver Redhorse. Heck, even if we are to rank the value of species based on the fight and palatabilty, then Buffalo and Drum should be so much more pursued than the Walleye with its disappointing fight and Black Bass with its poor taste.
To be honest, I think you're a little nutty and extremely radical. Compare a walleye to a sucker is like compare apples to oranges. Most roughfish species are not that good to eat, other than smoked or pickling. Also most roughfish are less likely to be caught on a line and hook and there is great numbers of them remained unharvested. It is naive for you to comparing a buffalo to a bass in terms of fishing and palatability, who the hell anyone would eat a buffalo if they ain't in clean waters? I've eaten buffaloes before and they're not that great. You would puke if you ate a buffalo or drum. Most buffaloes i caught were snagged. Not on the mouth. Sturgeons/catfish are technically gamefish, not roughfish. Let's be realistic, you can't get the public to eat these less palatable fish and make them as sportfish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
To be honest, I think you're a little nutty and extremely radical. Compare a walleye to a sucker is like compare apples to oranges. Most roughfish species are not that good to eat, other than smoked or pickling. Also most roughfish are less likely to be caught on a line and hook and there is great numbers of them remained unharvested. It is naive for you to comparing a buffalo to a bass in terms of fishing and palatability, who the hell anyone would eat a buffalo if they ain't in clean waters? I've eaten buffaloes before and they're not that great. You would puke if you ate a buffalo or drum. Most buffaloes i caught were snagged. Not on the mouth. Sturgeons/catfish are technically gamefish, not roughfish. Let's be realistic, you can't get the public to eat these less palatable fish and make them as sportfish.
I know that I am radical, and I could say the same about you, but at least I'm radical about defending fish and not killing them! Bigmouth Buffalo taste great if they come from the right waters, and if you've never tried fried Great Lakes Drum then I urge you to give it a try before you judge it!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I know that I am radical, and I could say the same about you, but at least I'm radical about defending fish and not killing them! Bigmouth Buffalo taste great if they come from the right waters, and if you've never tried fried Great Lakes Drum then I urge you to give it a try before you judge it!
Dive master, I'm far from radical and I just find it to be funny when you're compare a buffalo to a walleye. It's like compare a vulture to a chicken or an old male wild boar to a commercial pig. Sure they're palatable, doesn't mean they're delicious. Yes I had drum, but only less 15" ones and they're good. Big ones is no-good, tastes like a common carp. I've had buffaloes from clean waters and they're no better than buffaloes from dirty waters. I'm all for managing the healthy ecosystems, that means killing some fish to balance them out. It's all about have common senses. But you have to realize that not all fish are made to be delicious. What do you think why the common carps were abandoned as a food fish when we came to the America.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm still not positive 10 years later, but I have narrowed it down to a native FL species that grows over 36". You got a candidate in mind?
Hmm, well that rolls out Floridas and Spotteds and to my knowledge there's no 'gator had in FL (I could be wrong though) so they're either Longnose, Shortnose, or a mix of both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store