Bottom feeders for African cichlid tank

African Cichlid Lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2016
Sydney
Hi, I need something to clear up my algae problem, it's not out of control, but it's covering a few bit's of the tank, and I just scratch it off, but a little help would be appreciated. Any bottom feeder's welcome. Ph of 7.0, Temperature of 28, sandy substrate, semi-hooded, no plants. Needs to be able to stand up for itself. Thanks

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Featherfins aren't going to eat much algae. They'll pick up leftover food though. I've had good luck with bristle nose plecos. I've had one in my 125 for a few years and he does a great job.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hi, I need something to clear up my algae problem, it's not out of control, but it's covering a few bit's of the tank, and I just scratch it off, but a little help would be appreciated. Any bottom feeder's welcome. Ph of 7.0, Temperature of 28, sandy substrate, semi-hooded, no plants. Needs to be able to stand up for itself. Thanks
could always do a good ol' Chinese Algae-eater, cleans more algae than my other 50 bottom-feeders COMBINED

Justin David

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Syosset
Bristlenose and chinese algae eaters do eat algae, however they can not stand up for themselves like featherfins can.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I find bristlenose work with algae on glass and rocks. Why do you have algae on the bottom?

Both the mbuna and Synodontis will eat algae but leave clean spots and dirty spots in between so not all that helpful.

African Cichlid Lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2016
Sydney
I find bristlenose work with algae on glass and rocks. Why do you have algae on the bottom?

Both the mbuna and Synodontis will eat algae but leave clean spots and dirty spots in between so not all that helpful.[/Q

Both the mbuna and Synodontis will eat algae but leave clean spots and dirty spots in between so not all that helpful.
Ask the freaking algae!

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
1462830325128.jpg
Midwest creek chubs, mine are from Iowa. Also sold as bait fish, at most tackle shops.
I have two varieties one has a sucker mouth, they look the same otherwise.
Mine have never been even fin niped, their quick, and spend all day grazing.
They generally stay in a tight group.

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
Honestly, all plecos will eat algae but as they grow they'll become less and less effective and more interested in meatier foods. Although a bushy isn't a terrible idea. A Chinese will eat voraciously but with that comes explosive growth, and unlike most in this genre of discussion, it will actually potentially become aggressive and territorial.

Bottom line is preference. Do you want to add another fish? And NOTE- plecos come with arguably the largest bioload of anything you can put in the tank. Which is fine but it means more diligent cleanings. But on the same token, there are tons of options, some of which may even be more impressive than your cichlids. I myself have a blue phantom and a green phantom.

But if you'd like to not go the fish route you can try using CO2 boosters (every LFS sells them), decrease the amount of time that you have the lights on, orrrr you could even use snails who will almost ONLY eat algae for you. Just make sure that if you go with snails, that you know which species you're getting.

If you get the wrong snail you'll have a million of them before you know what happened. Zebra snails and others of the nerite family are the PERFECT option. They're extremely cheap, they WILL clean your tank, they're large, and they won't reproduce unless they're in brackish water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store