Black arow only eats bloodworms

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Got my black arow about 6-8 weeks ago he was 3 inches and now is only 4.....wont take pellets tried everything....starved him for 2 weeks and nothing. Ive been feeding him just bloodworms bc thats all he will eat.

Any ideas?

I didnt want to go longer then 2 weeks since hes ao young

GeorgeInNePa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2016
Did you try live crickets? My 4 inch or so Silver loves them. 1/4" crickets, blood worms, Hikari Cichlid Gold, and frozen brine shrimp (if they stay close to the surface) are all snapped up by him.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Got my black arow about 6-8 weeks ago he was 3 inches and now is only 4.....wont take pellets tried everything....starved him for 2 weeks and nothing. Ive been feeding him just bloodworms bc thats all he will eat.

Any ideas?

I didnt want to go longer then 2 weeks since hes ao young

When you feed bloodworms toss in a couple of pellets, eventually Aro's appetite will get beyond the bloodworms.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thats what i have been trying to do to get him on them
Don't give up be patient soon enough lol your going to say man this fish can eat. Btw when Aro gets beyond 5 inches try Hikari floating food sticks most Aro can't resist them. I have always started small Aro's on freeze dried bloodworms first to get them to eat.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Thats what i have been trying to do to get him on them
It's a pain when they are small. Try mixing in freeze dried blood worms with the frozen (assuming u are feeding frozen) then small floating pellets. Why I don't buy them small any more too much work. It's so nice when they get to the point that they eat anything.

Are u keeping ur water level low? Helps with the fear they are skiddish at that siZe

Floating plants do wonders as well some floating stem plants just throw the food in and can take his time to find it

Also find a tank mate that won't hurt them but has a large appetite helps get them motivated to eat more

Guppies will last awhile idk might nip but I never had a problem. They work well cause he will dispose of them after they are done serving their purpose....clown loaches work as well and will probably be fine long term too never had a problem even when loaches are smaller.

Reactions: tlindsey

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Just don't leave any uneaten food they are super sensitive at this size. I find it best to use sponge filter too. Keep flow to minimum. And low water level.

Good luck!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store