Bichir only tanks

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks for reminding me... i was gonna ask if the 2x/wk changes made it hard on you keeping good bacteria and how u were fixing that issue. Does the biomax work well?
Bio max is a just a media that the benificial bacteria grow on. Some members us pot scrubbies too. I have a mix of eheim substrate pro, bio max and seachem matrix. All do the same thi g so no need to fret over whats better. Me i prefer the matrix i feel like it holds up hetter over time but in the end its all the same crap. Best way to know ur wc schedule would be by testing for ammonia and nitrates. Ammonia found in the tank would indicate that you dont have a sufficient amount of bb converting it to nitrates, nitrates would indicate how often you need to change the water. My goal is usually 20 ppm of nitrates for me i have to do 1 fin level or 95% wc plus a 50% mid week. Also as your fish grow the waste output will increase.

I does help alot, J jaws7777 can explane it better.
Thx dude, im still learning too. Learned allot from the other members that took the time answering my endless questions.

B BillyCross i had all of the same questions and the other members helped a bunch, still asking endless questions lol

I too love ornates mine is probably my most active poly, hes an ass and killed a smaller gd, after a while i figured out his problem is with smaller polys. Definitely worth trying though, some members have ornates that arent trouble makers and some have issues no way to tell untill its in your tank ;)

BillyCross

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Bio max is a just a media that the benificial bacteria grow on. Some members us pot scrubbies too. I have a mix of eheim substrate pro, bio max and seachem matrix. All do the same thi g so no need to fret over whats better. Me i prefer the matrix i feel like it holds up hetter over time but in the end its all the same crap. Best way to know ur wc schedule would be by testing for ammonia and nitrates. Ammonia found in the tank would indicate that you dont have a sufficient amount of bb converting it to nitrates, nitrates would indicate how often you need to change the water. My goal is usually 20 ppm of nitrates for me i have to do 1 fin level or 95% wc plus a 50% mid week. Also as your fish grow the waste output will increase.

Thx dude, im still learning too. Learned allot from the other members that took the time answering my endless questions.

B BillyCross i had all of the same questions and the other members helped a bunch, still asking endless questions lol

I too love ornates mine is probably my most active poly, hes an ass and killed a smaller gd, after a while i figured out his problem is with smaller polys. Definitely worth trying though, some members have ornates that arent trouble makers and some have issues no way to tell untill its in your tank ;)
J jaws7777 . I am too. The ppl here have been awesome. Much help and solid advise from really cool members. I hope to one day be able to help others as ive been.

Reactions: DMD123

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
My ornates never really been an ass, just that one time were one of my ornate ate an smaller endli. But now they dont really care, but sometimes my ornates fight each other, lolz

BillyCross

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
By what ive read and asked about, it seems to me that if you want an ornate and want to be on the safe side, keep them with LJ's due to the fact that they will outgrow the smaller UJ's and bully/attack them. Also, their temperment is more in line with the LJ's.
Does this sound like i have a fair grasp on housing the ornate?
I dont want to confuse anyone, so any corrections made to my part are always welcomed.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
By what ive read and asked about, it seems to me that if you want an ornate and want to be on the safe side, keep them with LJ's due to the fact that they will outgrow the smaller UJ's and bully/attack them. Also, their temperment is more in line with the LJ's.
I dont want to confuse anyone, so any corrections made to my part are always welcomed.
Nailed it! You got it perfectly

Reactions: BillyCross

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Its better to house a ornate with any LJ, but keep in mind that they still need to be the same size, if not either one can become snack. Juvie ornate and endli can be cannibal.

BillyCross

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 . You showed me pics of your Dabola and i had a quick question. For the poly's that get really big like those, what tank heighth would you recomend? Is 24" high enough even for secimens in excess of 2'?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 . You showed me pics of your Dabola and i had a quick question. For the poly's that get really big like those, what tank heighth would you recomend? Is 24" high enough even for secimens in excess of 2'?
I dont have a dabola, lolz, that pic wasnt mine,
But even for big polys they dont need tall tank, 24" ill be fine, polys need more floor room than height.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Not SP. Dabola, but he has "Dabola endli" (Tinkisso river)

24" tank deep enough, once you get past that it can get difficult to reach in to clean. Mine is a 30" deep and total pain to get in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store